Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9651 "Sound Tamper Reset Required" 3 times in 2 months

Steven1089

Good evening, 

I am writing to ask you info about the following problem. Today it has been the third time in less then 2 months that my Scantronic alarm started to make an internal sound - maybe a brief external one as well? - and give me the error "Sound Tamper Reset Required". 

I have performed the Engineer reset correctly all these times, but I was wondering if maybe this error means that I have to change my alarm battery. 

What do you think?
Thanks for your help

Steven

Tamper fault will be one of the 24 hour circuits to one of your detectors or the bell, the panel and keypad also has a tamper circuit. When was the battery last changed? Not saying it is the battery just asking to find out if its another problem waiting to happen

10 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Tamper fault will be one of the 24 hour circuits to one of your detectors or the bell, the panel and keypad also has a tamper circuit. When was the battery last changed? Not saying it is the battery just asking to find out if its another problem waiting to happen

Hi Peter, 

I think the battery is at least 5 years old (maybe something more, I should ask to the previous house owner).

9 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Why does it need an "engineer reset"?

Sounds like the external box is duff to me but would need further diagnosis with a meter.

How could I check if is the external box the problem? 

Thanks for your answers

You don't want this to happen in the first place as that would trigger the outside bell hold off when mains and battery are missing.

Programming should be stored in non-volatile memory but it can be possible for memory to be lost on older kit if the system is faulty.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

You don't want this to happen in the first place as that would trigger the outside bell hold off when mains and battery are missing.

Programming should be stored in non-volatile memory but it can be possible for memory to be lost on older kit if the system is faulty.

qfa The main battery failing can also cause overload on the charging circuits, which in turn draws more power thus lowering the power to the detectors keypads and bell. this eventually kills the panel