Security Installer Community

Strange beeping !!!

1 hour ago, NC3D said:

Don't be so dismissive - my Mother's alarm is doing the exact same thing. I too disconnected the power and the battery and the chirping still continues. Maybe it's the caps discharging but this is ridiculous. It is NOT a smoke alarm - give the guy SOME credit.

Thank you taking the effort of joining our forum....

It assumes me & probably a few other members that you've powered down an intruder alarm as you've a battery powered smoke detector or similar with a low battery chirp  :)

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

4 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Thank you taking the effort of joining our forum....

It assumes me & probably a few other members that you've powered down an intruder alarm as you've a battery powered smoke detector or similar with a low battery chirp  ?

QFA If its down powered it cant make a noise 

15 hours ago, PeterJames said:

QFA If its down powered it cant make a noise 

Yeah you'd think - though I didn't wait long enough to see if it was the caps. I reset the box to factory settings and it stayed quiet for about 12 hours and now it's back with a vengeance. You would expect it to be a low battery signal, but tried 2 different batteries (though don't know how much charge they have).

12 minutes ago, NC3D said:

Yeah you'd think - though I didn't wait long enough to see if it was the caps. I reset the box to factory settings and it stayed quiet for about 12 hours and now it's back with a vengeance. You would expect it to be a low battery signal, but tried 2 different batteries (though don't know how much charge they have).

Caps would have to be pretty big in order to hold enough charge to make any sort of audible beep. Even the biggest caps would discharge pretty quickly after a powerdown. You may be charging a battery operated smoke from the same spur, or maybe a 12vdc smoke with its own battery backup somewhere.

10 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Caps would have to be pretty big in order to hold enough charge to make any sort of audible beep. Even the biggest caps would discharge pretty quickly after a powerdown. You may be charging a battery operated smoke from the same spur, or maybe a 12vdc smoke with its own battery backup somewhere.

With the panel open and my ear about 12 inches away I can categorically say it is the alarm. Tried it now on just battery, just power, both and it continues.

Ok, I'm officially beaten. Removed power and there was enough residual juice in the caps to chirp twice, 45 seconds apart. Tried disconnecting the bell, no difference. So unless somebody has any ideas of what it might be, I've just disconnected the speaker until I can replace the whole unit. My mother can at least sleep in peace now.

P.S. It wasn't the smoke alarm.

3 hours ago, NC3D said:

So unless somebody has any ideas of what it might be,

anyone got the no. for derek acorah ?

I know he;s dead but that should not be a problem....

Edited by MrHappy
  • Upvote 1

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God