Security Installer Community

Scantronix 9100 (fitted 1989) - viper problem

17 minutes ago, Andyha said:

By convention, back in the "good" old days the alarm pair would have been blue and yellow and the tamper pair would have been green and white.

no,

the alarm pair should be red & yellow -positive colours for the positive loop

The tamper loop should be blue & black - negative colours for the negative loop

the new fangled powered devices should be powered by white + & green -

however we don't do any of the above !

Edited by MrHappy

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Just now, norman said:

Blue/white for the alarm pair and green/yellow for the tamper here, seen every combo tho. 

I like yellow / black for alarm circuits......

cause it reminds me of a wasp!

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

shock sensors have a 1st to latch,

in these primitive pre mobile phone days... alarm men used to drill a little hole in the cabinet & fit a push to break switch which removed power to the vipers making them reset....

I recommend getting a proper alarm co. to fit a proper alarm ?

Hey im only 16     i can't even operate a vhs player 

For the benefit of Artur1975 the original poster who may not be helped by debates on colour coding of cores, you will see there are multiple options for the cores. I recall, back in the 80's that lots of companies (Thorn, Moderns, Security Centres, Grantly, Acorn, MR, BT, Custodian (and many more)) used red/black for power, green white for tamper and blue/yellow for alarm. However some companies may well have used other colour combinations.

The point is that the only way to establish what the colour code used is, is to look and see and meter and measure.

Don't know why the text above went bold - a copy mistake probably and has no significance

Edited by Andyha

Most of the Modern and Thorn stuff I have ripped out where the colours H said TBH, there will never be a standard even sometimes within companies as they will takeover other systems.

You could argue that the wiring regs harmonised all the colours for DC and our 12v circuits should be Brown +ve and either Grey or Blue -ve depending on if the supply is referenced to earth since then... but where is the Grey conductor unless you use 12c?

Either way colours are irrelevant best to paint with terminal descriptions than colours.

Some old school engineers when cable was relatively expensive would change the cable size and colours at every connection point so what's a orange and brown pair on a 8c maybe blue and yellow on a 4c two devices later...

51 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Most of the Modern and Thorn stuff I have ripped out where the colours H said TBH, there will never be a standard even sometimes within companies as they will takeover other systems.

You could argue that the wiring regs harmonised all the colours for DC and our 12v circuits should be Brown +ve and either Grey or Blue -ve depending on if the supply is referenced to earth since then... but where is the Grey conductor unless you use 12c?

Either way colours are irrelevant best to paint with terminal descriptions than colours.

Some old school engineers when cable was relatively expensive would change the cable size and colours at every connection point so what's a orange and brown pair on a 8c maybe blue and yellow on a 4c two devices later...

On my installs i use

green + 

White -

Red/blk tamper

Yellow/blue circuit 

I use this as alot of installs i upgrade still use 4 core cable