Security Installer Community

optima plus 2 - rcd tripping

Guest g.reeve

Guest g.reeve

I have a ten year old Optima plus 2 alarm with 3 remote keypads, one bell box and and 8 pir's. When i deactivate the alarm in the morning or when I get home, the RCD trips.

I tried disconecting the earth to the panel but still the same.

Please can someone advise me

Thanks

Greg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes the transformer in the control panel can trip the RCD as it see`s the TX coil as a short. Probably best to get a sparky in and swap its source to one without an RCD.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Sometimes the transformer in the control panel can trip the RCD as it see`s the TX coil as a short.

33380[/snapback]

Think you're getting RCD and MCB mixed up here Dave, if an RCD sees a L-N short it won't do anything, it only protects earth faults, i.e. a leakage to earth somewhere. A MCB will trip on a dead L-N short as it protects against overload.

Greg, I think a service visit would be a good idea, tripping RCDs sound a bit drastic!

Guest g.reeve

Thanks for the input guys.

All the circuits (3 Fuseboards) in my house are protected by an rcd, 100amp/100milliamp rated, so a non rcd supply to the panel is not an option.

I don't really want to pay for a service call when I can do the work myself, (I did install the panel ten years ago and have regularly changed the battery every 2 years)

Does it only trip on unsetting?

Surely there would be no difference?

Try to eliminate everything else, ie are you also switching on a light/security light.

You could try running te panel off its own battery without mains, setting/unsetting to prove if it is the alarm panel.

Thanks for the input guys.

All the circuits (3 Fuseboards) in my house are protected by an rcd, 100amp/100milliamp rated, so a non rcd supply to the panel is not an option.

I don't really want to pay for a service call when I can do the work myself, (I did install the panel ten years ago and have regularly changed the battery every 2 years)

33399[/snapback]

I would pay for a service call,

A small charge to check the system out would be better than it not being the alarm and something else is faulty which could lead to a fire.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Does it only trip on unsetting?

Surely there would be no difference?

Is the system switching anything else on/off when set/unset..? Perhaps a security light or something..?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Is the system switching anything else on/off when set/unset..? Perhaps a security light or something..?

33429[/snapback]

Dave think JSD asked him that already matey.

Does seem tricky dont it??? Might be something really daft like when hes pressing buttons on the panel it might be trapping a mains cable or the mains cable is loose to the panel mains input connections and sparking and thus tripping the mcb????

As a qualified electrician and an SSAIB installer your electrics seem a bit strange, there should be 30ma protection for the socket outlets in your property !! if I were you I would get an electrician out to look at this urgently.

As a qualified electrician and an SSAIB installer your electrics seem a bit strange, there should be 30ma protection for the socket outlets in your property !!

Woosh,

Can you explain your reasoning behind saying that a 30ma RCD should be installed for the socket outlets and not the 100ma.

Archived