Security Installer Community

Disabling my alarm -help.

Hi, hope this is the correct forum for this.

I recently cancelled my ADT monitored alarm as I no longer required it. I expected ADT would collect the alarm stuff but they want me to pay an undisclosed amount for an engineer. I turned that one down and decommission  it myself. I thought I'd check here to see if what I intended would work OK :-

1. cut the power.

2. cut the phone lead.

3. be ready to enter my code if it goes off.

4. snip the lead to the speaker before

5. whipping the cover off and snipping the battery leads.

Anything I've missed? I'm hoping this will be a relatively silent process. I am assuming the alarm speaker does not have a backup battery?

Thanks

1 hour ago, meditek said:

Hi, hope this is the correct forum for this.

I recently cancelled my ADT monitored alarm as I no longer required it. I expected ADT would collect the alarm stuff but they want me to pay an undisclosed amount for an engineer. I turned that one down and decommission  it myself. I thought I'd check here to see if what I intended would work OK :-

1. cut the power.

2. cut the phone lead.

3. be ready to enter my code if it goes off.

4. snip the lead to the speaker before

5. whipping the cover off and snipping the battery leads.

Anything I've missed? I'm hoping this will be a relatively silent process. I am assuming the alarm speaker does not have a backup battery?

Thanks

Internal battery needs disconnecting aswell

The internal bell maybe Sab type so may need battery disconnecting in that to

Most external ADT boxes are dummy but few are live bells but it should due after 20mins anyway otherwise have ladders ready

1. Rethe sab type. Am I correct in assuming this means that cutting the wire will allow the internal alarm bell to sound despite being cut off from the main box's 12v supply? Box outside is fake btw.

2. Do I need a lump hammer too?

19 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Systems in working order are not designed to be disabled by just snipping this and that, they are tampered and will usually result in lots of noise if you try. It would be completely pointless to fit them if they where easily disabled.

Which is exactly why I am asking for advice. I do have the advantage of knowing my systems user code so please could you advise on the points that I will probably have to enter it to shut the damn thing up, Some constructive advice would be a bonus.

If you didn't think my previous post was constructive enough then just give it a go with some ear plugs and whack anything that makes a noise with a lump hammer...

You don't mention what system you have and even so they are all different depending on the system design.

May need ladders to reach the outside box, you may not if SAB is inside. Either way you will not do it silently if the system works properly.

• Upvote 1

"f you didn't think my previous post was constructive enough then just give it a go with some ear plugs and whack anything that makes a noise with a lump hammer...

You don't mention what system you have and even so they are all different depending on the system design.

May need ladders to reach the outside box, you may not if SAB is inside. Either way you will not do it silently if the system works properly."

System is Honeywell Galaxy 2-12 Co12 and I was informed by the fitter that the outside box is a dummy.

I expected ADT would permanently disarm it remotely when I cancelled the contract but they didn't.

Thanks

Edited by meditek