Security Installer Community

Texecom Odyssey 1 Bell Box

Nick Undrell

Hi All,

I’ve finally gotten around to wiring out Honeywell Galaxy 20 alarm system. The Bell Boxes have been on the wall for about 3 yrs and were installed by our electrician. I decided it’ll be worth testing the bell boxes to confirm they are working as expected. The rear box is working, connected to 12v psu I get slow alternate flashing LEDs. I can then operate the strobe and sounder by grounding the appropriate wire. The front bell box however is not working. When connected to 12volts the sounder goes off for ~5secs and the left hand led flashes. Looking at the instructions this indicates a tamper fault. However if I measure the resistance between the tamper wire and 0v wire I get ~2.5ohm, which is almost identical to the rear box. Do you think this is actually a fault or could it be because the onboard battery needs charging? Unfortunately I do have a set of ladders to reach the bell box.

Any advise great fully received 

Nick

If using two boxes you would usually series the bell tampers.

For Texecom bells the first one is wired "normal" and then the second bell is seriesed with the microswitch terminals leaving the tamper terminal unused (as per instructions).

I would suspect there is a tamper issue if the bell is stuck held-off.

45 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

If using two boxes you would usually series the bell tampers.

For Texecom bells the first one is wired "normal" and then the second bell is seriesed with the microswitch terminals leaving the tamper terminal unused (as per instructions).

I would suspect there is a tamper issue if the bell is stuck held-off.

I am planning to borrow a set of ladders to check the tamper circuit and wiring at the weekend. Reading the instructions it would appear the internal battery needs to be enabled. Could this be the issue? The tamper line is providing 0v, confirmed by 12v reading between it and +12v. Could a defective internal battery be the problem? 

I also now realise the boxes should have their tamper circuits serialised. The rear box however is even less accessible than the front box (due to roof pitches on ground floor extensions making ladder access impossible). I was therefore planning to use the tamper line of the front bell to feed the 0v line of the rear bell. The tamper line of the rear bell would then go back to the alarm panel. I am also concerned the current load of both boxes may be too much for the panel. In which case I was planning to only connect the strobe on the rear box. 

34 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

is there a 5 sec battery link on these boxes?

No  texecom are preset to 15 min and can't be adjusted    

Seems like the front bell box has failed    i had a couple odysseys fail in this way from water ingress  

Edited by Imnotshankled

Just now, Imnotshankled said:

No  texecom are preset to 15 min and can't be adjusted 

49 minutes ago, Nick Undrell said:

Reading the instructions it would appear the internal battery needs to be enabled. Could this be the issue? The tamper line is providing 0v, confirmed by 12v reading between it and +12v. Could a defective internal battery be the problem

Texecom odyssey boxes dont monitor the battery 

Two external boxes would normally require two power supplies due to alarm current and standby times. Strobe consumes very little power relative to the rest of the box.

You should calculate the panels capacity with all components using standby current and then alarm current, making sure you get at least 12 hours standby and a full activation on your battery.

It's not as simple as the panel has a 1A PSU so you can load it to 1A.

Only sounding for a few seconds may mean it's in SCB mode and the battery is dead, but I am still thinking there is a tamper issue if it will not leave hold-off mode.