Security Installer Community

replacing an old scantronics 9800 with what?

howard easton

we have a scantronics 9800 in the house we bought in 2005 - it has worked OK but we are now getting a few problems so I need to decide repair or replace. Cant help but think that electronics has moved on leaps and bounds since the 90s when this system was installed and in any case we would like to extend it to give more coverage. Maybe add outside security too. So I am seeking opinions on what to go for.

We are talking a three bed detached bungalow. Currently there are 2 magnetic door sensors and 2 movement sensors plus a bedside panic button, inside and outside sounders all hard wired and with the wires installed during building. I dont want to be cutting channels in walls and completely redecorating to extending the system implies wireless. Do any modern systems also link to outside cameras?

SE Wales, Abergavenny, Monmouth area -

Where you looking to DIY or get a company in?

You are correct things have moved on quite a bit since 2005. There are intruder systems that you can add cameras to but it is better to keep the two thing separate. 

CCTV wise there are AI cameras that notify you on your smart phone if a human is detected (yes it ignores cats foxes and trees blowing in the wind) 

Intruder wise again there are hybrid systems that will allow you to use the existing hard wired detection coupled with additional wireless detection where required 

Both are available DIY but you are limited on choice, in my opinion the most reliable brands are trade only 

It's been in all that time without any annual maintenance?

Most alarms can be done wired discretely (especially in a bungalow) it's all down to the quality of the installer.

You would probably be fine testing and reusing the wiring.

Question is:- do you want an installer or do you plan to DIY as they are completely different answers to the topic.

physics degree and ham radio means I am OK with the basics of installing and maintenance, and the existing system has simple walk throug testing and fault codes. So maintenance has been a matter of a check that everything is functioning correctly and the replacement of batteries in both control box and siren box. I would like to DIY a new system - I'm retired and its something interesting to do with my time. Bit if a modern system involves networks etc then I would struggle.

When you say networks, you would need some networking knowledge to setup cameras or any notification systems if that was the plan for the alarm.

An audible only alarm wouldn't have any TCP/IP involved if that's what you mean.

I would say you could upgrade all the electronic components of the alarm, test the cabling if the system design is fine. Then treat any cameras as a separate system.

DIY then always ask for manufacturer recommendations but everyone uses different ones to suit there business and what they have trained there installers for.

Honeywell, Texecom, Castle, Eaton etc:- as a short list of manufacturers that aren't closed supply.

Bear in mind you could spend months trying to get it work when an installer would have it done right in a day.

On 09/04/2021 at 21:55, sixwheeledbeast said:

Bear in mind you could spend months trying to get it work when an installer would have it done right in a day.

Which is a very fair point but as I said I am retired so the install would be fun even if it took time. Having said that, I have been messing with the existing system which was giving internal tamper alarms when not set. Have run it to ground ( I think) a bedroom PIR that had been taken off the wall by a decorator, put back loosely, and which was behind the door that the dog comes crashing through every morning. In the going, however, I seem to have gelded the outside siren and light.. One loose wire in the main box is I suspect the culprit, but not had time yet to work out where it goes. As you say, an instalkler could well have solved the whole issue in no time at all.