Security Installer Community

Texecom Odyssey X1 and X3 backlight issue

Hi,

Have Texecom fixed their issue with the backlights failing in their Odyssey X external sounders. I've heard people say that they have and people say they haven't and I've seen a few with failed backlights and some that have been installed for around a year that still have functioning backlights.

Thanks,
Alex

Edited by sixwheeledbeast
Moved

On 26/03/2021 at 12:16, sixwheeledbeast said:

Don't use the backlit bellboxes so wouldn't know. Although I do have some LED modules from them, to use as a light source, none of those have any failed LEDs.

Are these ones you have seen fitted by yourself?

I haven’t fitted any X3s yet. Thinking about possibly starting to install some on new installs but wanted to clarify if the backlight issue had been fixed or not.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Odyssey X external sounders illuminated

Re the TEXCOM backlit boxes, mine have all failed, some totally out, some just a few of the LEDS, I contacted Texcom they replied saying you can replace the LED strip, and quoted part number, 

Thank you for contacting Texecom Support.
The Odyssey Back Light LED can be purchased via your supplier.
The Part Code for the LED is WDC-0003.

I cannot find any supplier with these parts in stock!!

The other issue is the time taken to get up to the unit, get into or even open the many plastic parts, up a ladder no chance or remove and take back to the bench where it is so difficult to open, along with the hundreds of insects, nests, spiders, moths who made it home.

I spent a few hours opening it up, trying to clean it, next time I would buy a new box, but not an illuminated one, nice idea, great design but failed in so many ways for engineers.

Expensive costs to basically attend to a faulty or failed LED strip. Back in my early days the biggest issue was rusting bell boxes, then we got the C Type from CQR, thought the days of bell box issues was over

Comments and suggestions, anyone else suffering the same issue?

wdd-0002.jpg

There are planning permission issues for installers fitting illuminated boxes on most sites anyway.

I wouldn't ever fit them, in fact I have removed a good few of the LED strips from these Ody X's over the years. Given some more time now from the OP I'd say 25% that I removed have eventually become flaky or failed.

Pretty simple to remove, it's a clever design having it modular like that; although I suspect they may have been running a bit hot. Have seen two different LED types one better than the other.

The modules that do continue to work, nicely modify into decent camping lights...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Its now the end of October Texecom still have not supplied promised replacement LED strips, seems all i speak to have stopped or never used these boxes, but it's the customers who are now unhappy. Texcom letting installers down, how hard can it be to send a few parts?

If you do get a supply of them... unlikely to get a large quantity from a wholesaler if they even have them listed; I would suggest to replace as part of any maintenance.

The transparent wiring cover will easily flick out at the hinge with correct application of a flat screwdriver, so you could have covers ready to go with spare wiring covers (buy a few dummies).

I know it's not the point but you could consider getting some adhesive 12v LED tape instead, most thinner stuff can be cut at 8-10cm sections make them up ready to go.

It's less hassle to go forward using the same box if you want, but not offering or connecting the illumination.

As I say I don't offer illuminated sounders every now and then a new customer enquires about them, I ask if they have or have applied for planning permission to have one and then explain the details of this. 

If the customer even wanted to put the effort in to apply, your unlikely to get it granted in a domestic situation.

No neighbour wants to look at your light up advert looking across the road in the evening... more importantly, I don't feel they should have to either.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, ultrasonic said:

Its now the end of October Texecom still have not supplied promised replacement LED strips, seems all i speak to have stopped or never used these boxes, but it's the customers who are now unhappy. Texcom letting installers down, how hard can it be to send a few parts?

As above , that bell easier to put your own strip in and your done 

On 26/03/2021 at 10:59, Alexander02 said:

Hi,

Have Texecom fixed their issue with the backlights failing in their Odyssey X external sounders. I've heard people say that they have and people say they haven't and I've seen a few with failed backlights and some that have been installed for around a year that still have functioning backlights.

Thanks,
Alex

Overall I think the bell is not that good , get something else 

3 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I actually would say they are well designed even tho I don't use that model.

Anything with a backlight will die eventually and at least the led strip is removable/replaceable.

Yes compared to the old delta on board led , but then the other delta had the module aswell, and that led module used to be available a fair bit , didn't see much fail on latter