Security Installer Community

Need to get rid of that Scantronic 9450!

Hi all,

Im new here and not a professional and as such will probably talk a lot of jibberish so bear with me..?

My Dinosaur scantronic 9450 in the garage is going bonkers and triggering the panel in the house.

I have a strobe on the garage and it flashes but I have no idea which zone is triggering it out of the 3..no indicator on the panel and I dont think the bell is sounding either (its fitted in the garage to give invaders a head ache..lol)

I have the house trigger wired to the strobe panel output (seemed logical) so its reasonable to assume that the strobe is triggering the house panel.

So from what ive read about Scantronic its maybe time for a new garage panel.?

The sytem is well simple with a contacted garden door wired to EE. A dual tech wired to zone one to protect the interior. A contacted up and over door wired to zone 2 and zone 3 is wired to the contacted door on my shed. And of course the relay trigger used to trigger a spare zone on the house panel which is wired into the strobe output as explained. And of course mustnt forget a bell box with tamper.

Thats it ..hardly rocket science!

So what are your views guys.. should I bare with it and try and fix or scrap it and replace?!

I do need some help here and I am an electrician so hopefully I could self install! ?

Sometimes pros talk jibberish too...

Really I would say you could have it as a standalone system, upgrade to something more modern.

Alternatively, you would upgrade the house system to something decent that can have areas setup and have it as one system but partitioned off like two systems, the link to the garage would become a data bus for an expander or whatever.

Would require more kit/programming knowledge to work that out from a DIY POV.

I wouldn't have linked the systems together in the way you did, its more awkward for isolation when you have issues like now.

Also when you do have an alarm you have no knowledge of where was triggered and have to go down the garage to investigate with possibly someone lurking about in the garden.

Really you need to work out why your garage system is going "bonkers" is it the control panel or something else? No point throwing kit at it if you don't know why, I mean it may just need a quick look at by a knowledge engineer especially if you have done no maintenance on it.

Thanks for the reply six wheeled beast?

The garage is hard wired via  cable up the garden to zone six on the Accenta house panel so I know if the garage goes off and the strobe is also a give away..or was before it went bonkers.

The scantronic 9450 in the garage doesnt have any outputs to trigger the house alarm so house zone 6 was wired across the strobe output in the 9450 via that cable and a relay mounted in the scan panel. So when in full alarm the output from the strobe energises the NC relay which drops the loop on zone6 of the house system and trips it..

Quite basic stuff and it has worked since 1995! How long do these things last.?

I do service it via walk test etc and trip the Dual Tech and test the bell..

I wouldnt mind upgrading its just that everything out there is so over complicated for what I need..is there a simple bit of kit out there like my old 9450?

33 minutes ago, Back door Dave said:

I do service it via walk test etc and trip the Dual Tech and test the bell..

So no replacement batteries, charging rate, voltage and resistance checks during this service then?

34 minutes ago, Back door Dave said:

I wouldnt mind upgrading its just that everything out there is so over complicated for what I need..is there a simple bit of kit out there like my old 9450?

Not fitted "basic" stuff in years, better grade kit overs so much more flexibility and diagnostic tools if you know how to use it.

36 minutes ago, Back door Dave said:

The garage is hard wired via cable up the garden to zone six on the Accenta house panel so I know if the garage goes off and the strobe is also a give away..or was before it went bonkers.

The scantronic 9450 in the garage doesnt have any outputs to trigger the house alarm so house zone 6 was wired across the strobe output in the 9450 via that cable and a relay mounted in the scan panel. So when in full alarm the output from the strobe energises the NC relay which drops the loop on zone6 of the house system and trips it..

Even so you have no idea what in the garage has gone off, there is also no tamper protection for this wire down the garden, no alarm engineer would install it like that, even if it did "work".

You still need to work out what is up with what you have, maybe this link wire up the garden is damaged causing problems with both panels. Needs further diagnosis IMO.

11 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

So no replacement batteries, charging rate, voltage and resistance checks during this service then?

Not fitted "basic" stuff in years, better grade kit overs so much more flexibility and diagnostic tools if you know how to use it.

Even so you have no idea what in the garage has gone off, there is also no tamper protection for this wire down the garden, no alarm engineer would install it like that, even if it did "work".

You still need to work out what is up with what you have, maybe this link wire up the garden is damaged causing problems with both panels. Needs further diagnosis IMO.

Well that has given me some clues..looks like the m/meter is coming out at the week end and will check that 6 wire and see if there are any shorts.

Many Thanks!