Security Installer Community

Alarm upgrade

CHH

Hi I have an alarm system a Abacus 6/14 with an additional Bosch RF3249E which interfaces with the wireless PIR and impact sensors. I'm aware that this setup now is over 10 years old and as a unit need relocating I'm debating whether I should upgrade the alarm unit. Can anyone suggest a appropriate alarm unit to change this for. The keypad and alarm sounders all wired but PIR's and impact sensors are wireless so be good if we could keep the infrastructure and use the wireless equipment.

You just need another Hybrid system to replace it with then. Plenty of options but manufacturer preference will vary by installer.

Look for two way communication on the wireless parts if you actually want it to work.

First question you need to think about is, are you looking to do this yourself or get a man in?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Id say closer to 20 years old, there wont be anything that will work with your existing wireless detection hard wired will be okay

My data base says I was doing 6/14r's back in 20 02 ?

2 X sanyo battery in a pir... They where rock soild

I think today's tat give me more grief ?

Mr? Veritas God

Just now, sixwheeledbeast said:

I would agree on solid but they are one way tho.

Most one way stuff doesn't give grief it just silently stops working if it's tat.

best radio stuff I've ever used

worst ?

scantronic 500r / Texecom  ?

Mr? Veritas God

If I have to say best for range modified scantronic 46xx. Got a good 2km on test. Latest stuff I'm going hkc for range and little hassle, I'm sure Adrians texecom stuff would do well too as 3 way mesh though 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I'd agree 1 way is tat and similar to the DIY stuff available now but scanny 4 stuff was pretty reliable. That was 20 yrs ago though I wouldn't trust it now. I had a tech conversation today about signalling. We used to think 50v pstn and an fsi guaranteed an alarm delivery, we now expect polling and testing the alarm delivery path. Rf is no different if you don't poll you have no idea what might ish be delivered if ever. 

Agreed your the texecom expert on radio I've only supported issues on it. From what you say it's always an installation issue. I can add my bit from support. It will be brief New visonic is less troublesome than the previous, risco is popular but similar, pyronix is more on numbers but at least its 2 way ish, scanny (Eaton) is 1 way and is low on issues. Daitem is low too. There will be a day when stats like this are published.

Had more SMPS issues than Rick O'Shea problems... Have had the odd PIR false alarm or DT fail early on but generally install issues yer.

Don't really touch Pyronix and pretty much every Risco system I have had to unfortunately deal with had some issue; not all wireless systems tho.

The odd Galaxy I have had issues with contacts and the tamper buttons.

It's all relative really that's part of why every installer prefers different kit, you wouldn't keep fitting it if you had a lot of grief with it.

Give me a wired TS Menvier any day, if I were to pick an era for no hassle...

Agreed showing age >v1. 6 castle 2000 or galaxy classic without the v4-to 4.06 issues. Stability wise its only hkc since

I did play with a 2500 TS between that and the Gal would of been a dream panel, I know the TS team moved to tex to create the Premier 

5 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

They refreshed the Premier, bumped all version numbers so all panel sizes were same at V7.0 firmware.

Already out there just not too popular, lacking in features a little and had an odd menu structure with no shortcuts to get about.

Prmeir top trumps...

1st of the non veritas Premier's was the 888

The 1st Premier was a a Veritas + in Metal box with stu print on a daughter board 

Mr? Veritas God

20 hours ago, MrHappy said:

My data base says I was doing 6/14r's back in 20 02 ?

2 X sanyo battery in a pir... They where rock soild

I think today's tat give me more grief ?

Wasn't knocking the panel, just stating the facts 

5 hours ago, MrHappy said:

1st of the non veritas Premier's was the 888

The 1st Premier was a a Veritas + in Metal box with stu print on a daughter board 

Didn't play with a huge amount pre V7 but I remember the 888 and 8168 were similar to what is now export only 412/816/832, Veritas cabs and STU connections on a molex lead adapter, onboard digi.

Did takeover a couple, the keyboard buttons didn't have hard plastic over the rubber membrane, made a big difference to the look and feel of the keypads. Back then the TS seemed miles ahead feature wise.

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Wasn't knocking the panel, just stating the facts 

the 888 became the premier 88 & was cut done to be the 48

rubber buttons where too soft & finger nails worn them out

the original keypad plastics where better then current tat which slops around on the wall

You ever see a digitas ?

Mr? Veritas God