Security Installer Community

Wireless burglar alarm system

Hi there. I'm totally new at this. The problem is I bought a wireless home burglar system from ebay some years ago and it became defective. I went ahead and bought what looked like a similar one but it wasn't and the new panel is not connecting with my old sensors. Both say they use 433mhz to work. My old sensors have a jumper block whereas the new ones don't.

Anybody has any ideas how I can get the old sensors to work with the new panel?

They are still possibly not compatible.

Jumpers or DIP switches would indicate manually setting channels whereas without would have an enrollment method via the panel.

You don't mention any model but TBH it all sound very old or DIY and not something anyone here would have used, most stuff moved to 868Mhz a decade ago.

Just because something is the same frequency doesnt mean its compatible in the same way a yellow door from a ford wont fit a yellow vauxhall. You need to buy everything from the same manufacturer, and in most cases the same model too.

39 minutes ago, Anthony Hart said:

Hi there. I'm totally new at this. The problem is I bought a wireless home burglar system from ebay some years ago and it became defective.

A proper alarm or some diy toot ?

Mr? Veritas God

Hi and thanks for all the replies. I'm really not sure about the actual age of the systems in question but they were new, according to the Ebay seller. And yes, there are pretty cheap (as I am) $40.00 t0 $50.00 US for a fair amount of sensors. a siren etc. etc. You can check them out there easily if you search for "wireless burglar alarm systems" and they sure do work!

To address Mr. Sixwheeldbeast, you are correct my friend. The new panel uses an enrollment system unlike the old one which, as I mentioned, appears to use the jumper block. Not being sure how these things connect to each other I nevertheless suspect that it's not too complicated to get them to communicate. I would think that if I can determine what frequency the new panel uses to signal its sensors I should be able to program the jumpers in the old sensors appropriately. Am i making sense?

I am attaching some pics to help out anyone who cares to take another shot at it.

Old sensor.jpg

New sensor.jpg

Old system.jpg

New panel.jpg

7 minutes ago, Anthony Hart said:

I would think that if I can determine what frequency the new panel uses to signal its sensors I should be able to program the jumpers in the old sensors appropriately. Am i making sense?

The new kit is possibly rolling code your old kit is fixed frequency. That said the newer detectors have antennas. I went to a couple of Chinese alarm factories around 5 years ago and they were not producing detectors with antennas in, so I would say those detectors are old stock which would suggest old tech

12 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

The new kit is possibly rolling code your old kit is fixed frequency. That said the newer detectors have antennas. I went to a couple of Chinese alarm factories around 5 years ago and they were not producing detectors with antennas in, so I would say those detectors are old stock which would suggest old tech

You may be quite right Peter but where do I go from here then? If it is this rolling code thing does that mean that what I want to do is impossible?

28 minutes ago, Anthony Hart said:

Hi and thanks for all the replies. I'm really not sure about the actual age of the systems in question but they were new, according to the Ebay seller. And yes, there are pretty cheap (as I am) $40.00 t0 $50.00 US for a fair amount of sensors. a siren etc. etc. You can check them out there easily if you search for "wireless burglar alarm systems" and they sure do work!

To address Mr. Sixwheeldbeast, you are correct my friend. The new panel uses an enrollment system unlike the old one which, as I mentioned, appears to use the jumper block. Not being sure how these things connect to each other I nevertheless suspect that it's not too complicated to get them to communicate. I would think that if I can determine what frequency the new panel uses to signal its sensors I should be able to program the jumpers in the old sensors appropriately. Am i making sense?

I am attaching some pics to help out anyone who cares to take another shot at it.

Old sensor.jpg

New sensor.jpg

Old system.jpg

New panel.jpg

Fookin tat....

Mr? Veritas God

2 minutes ago, Anthony Hart said:

does that mean that what I want to do is impossible?

in a nutshell yes, just buy new detectors from the same manufacturer, personally though I would recommend returning it and buying a proper system or a big dog 

1 minute ago, PeterJames said:

in a nutshell yes, just buy new detectors from the same manufacturer, personally though I would recommend returning it and buying a proper system or a big dog 

Hahaha, gotcha!. Well the dog is out coz I'm a cat lover so ne'er the twain shall meet right?

Ok then and much thanks to all responders. Posting here has been an eye-opener for me. I don't need any more new detectors than what already came with the system but I would need an external wireless siren to complement the internal wired one so I'll concentrate on getting that and installing the new panel and have done.

Cheers to all....

You can make it look like it works using various rf receivers. You ought to look into rf and alarms. The home automation forums are happy with sonoff 422 485 rf etc. The DIY market does use those freq as well as 868 but that's all. Look into properly before you think all are the same

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

6 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

You can make it look like it works using various rf receivers. You ought to look into rf and alarms. The home automation forums are happy with sonoff 422 485 rf etc. The DIY market does use those freq as well as 868 but that's all. Look into properly before you think all are the same

Thank you for that info James, but it all sounds a bit above my head. But are you saying that you think I may actually manage to get it to work? If that's the case maybe you can sort of point me in a particular direction, as if talking to a neophyte - which I am. For example where or how do I acquire any of the rf receivers you talk about. That being said, if you think I'm really too green to understand please don't worry. I am quite aware of my shortcomings in this area lol.

I'm not saying your green or short of anything. My concern in your case and others following this thread in the future is the idea that 'it works' once so must be OK. Will always work once when it's needed... Wrong. One way rf is awful fine for doorbells, I'm here requests etc but for not for security. As I said look into. Imo discount 1 way for anything other than door bells but not all 2 way stuff is equal. 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.