Security Installer Community

32 amp cooker switch on ring main?

aadesh1300

Hi everyone, so ive got a new oven to install this one is rated at 16 amps, old one was 13 amps on a plug and socket to ring main. My question is can i install a 32amp double pole switch on the ring main then feed 4mm flex to the oven? Is there anything in the regs that prevents this? Thanks for reading.

52 minutes ago, aadesh1300 said:

Hi everyone, so ive got a new oven to install this one is rated at 16 amps, old one was 13 amps on a plug and socket to ring main. My question is can i install a 32amp double pole switch on the ring main then feed 4mm flex to the oven? Is there anything in the regs that prevents this? Thanks for reading.

Taking a guess you can 

However there's always a way to get the 10mm back to the cu imo

I say 10mm so you do it once 

It's certainly not recommended, anything that is a high load appliance should have a dedicated radial circuit back to the CU. Pretty sure 2KW is mentioned as a limit, your new one is more like 3.6.

I wouldn't even be keen on using a plug top type if the kitchen didn't have it's own RFC, you only need to have the oven and kettle on at the same time, which is common...

Agreed anything over 12kw shouldn't be on a plug top or on the ring yes it will work just like taking all the panels off your car including the windscreen will get you to where your going... 

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

12KW!? Clearly a typo.

Ring Finals are horrible things, should have been deprecated years ago IMO.

There allowance falls back on design caveats and our outlets, plugs and sockets, everything should have a 13A fuse maximum that is supplied from one from this design.

When you consider that the cable used for RFC is underrated for the size of the MCB and only possible due to the loop, these fuses are important especially in a fault.

Edited by sixwheeledbeast