Security Installer Community

Forgotten Password and HKC GSM Q Unit

So I forgot the password for logging into my the online account for my mobile number (I wanted to check credit) and I did "forgot password" which unfortunately sends a validation code to my SIM which is in the GSM unit. So I'm going to have to take it out and put it into a handset to get the code to change the password online. Really frustrating. When I installed the GSM unit after installing my alarm, I think I put the SIM in before I powered  the GSM unit up or even the alarm board. Question is can I just pull the SIM out now with the GSM unit powered up or could it cause damage? Is it sufficient to just disable the GSM board from the engineer's menu? (9222 Disable GSM)

Edited by Eugene's DIY Den

Is it possible for this unit to display codes sent to it by SMS on the alarm panel's LCD or get them relayed to a second handset to avoid this issue?

43 minutes ago, Eugene's DIY Den said:

So I forgot the password for logging into my the online account for my mobile number (I wanted to check credit) and I did "forgot password" which unfortunately sends a validation code to my SIM which is in the GSM unit. So I'm going to have to take it out and put it into a handset to get the code to change the password online. Really frustrating. When I installed the GSM unit after installing my alarm, I think I put the SIM in before I powered  the GSM unit up or even the alarm board. Question is can I just pull the SIM out now with the GSM unit powered up or could it cause damage? Is it sufficient to just disable the GSM board from the engineer's menu? (9222 Disable GSM)

Just pull the sm out , in fact you can hot plug in and out all the cards , not recommended but support have said it's no biggy

32 minutes ago, Eugene's DIY Den said:

Is it possible for this unit to display codes sent to it by SMS on the alarm panel's LCD or get them relayed to a second handset to avoid this issue?

Didn't think there was a forwarder for it

Edited by al-yeti
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Just pull the aim out , infact you can hot plug in and out all the cards , not recommended but support have said it's no biggy

Ok, thanks will try that.

2 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

I assume this is an Irish unit not a UK one? 

Yes, it's an Irish one.

Quick question. I asked over a year ago about disabling the external sounder when I'm working on the alarm and you told me that this isn't an option in the engineer's menu, but I can just program the ext. bell to be something different. How do I do this? (I can probably figure it out from the diagram in the installation guide, but you guys are familiar with this stuff).

3 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Hot plugging all serial could be fine, but when you misalign the pins it's the main board you take out not the plug on one

You mean hot plugging the GSM board? What about the the contacts on the SIM being misaligned during insertion?

6 hours ago, Eugene's DIY Den said:

You mean hot plugging the GSM board? What about the the contacts on the SIM being misaligned during insertion?

I done this plenty never had an issue , of course you could mash it up 

6 hours ago, james.wilson said:

Hot plugging all serial could be fine, but when you misalign the pins it's the main board you take out not the plug on one

I misalign hasn't done anything , you took fried a  board  yourself?

6 hours ago, Eugene's DIY Den said:

Quick question. I asked over a year ago about disabling the external sounder when I'm working on the alarm and you told me that this isn't an option in the engineer's menu, but I can just program the ext. bell to be something different. How do I do this? (I can probably figure it out from the diagram in the installation guide, but you guys are familiar with this stuff).

You mean the trigger? Why you need to disable it completely? 

2 hours ago, al-yeti said:

You mean the trigger? Why you need to disable it completely? 

If for instance I had to power down the board and disconnect the panel battery, or trigger an alarm by activating a sensor.

Managed to get the mobile company to give me a temporary password this morning to login to my account.  An agent from the skeleton staff they had on late last night didn't know this was possible and insisted I had to take the SIM out and put it in a handset.

3 hours ago, Eugene's DIY Den said:

If for instance I had to power down the board and disconnect the panel battery, or trigger an alarm by activating a sensor.

Just power down man , let it ring lol

• Upvote 1