Security Installer Community

What System ?

Kangaroo

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I still don't find any of these apps or "smart" features - smart. Your just tied into manufactured obsolescence and compatibility woes as you say.

They may have their very limited applications for some jobs but it's just a daft requirement in the current age that people want all there electronic tat to have an app, if there is a point or not.

I find apps very useful. In my pocket I control much of my house. My phone tells me when there is someone at the door, or in my garden.I know what time my staff are in the office and what time they leave, I get a warning if the alarm is not unset by 09.00  weekdays (a bit annoying bank holidays) I get a warning if the alarm has not been set by 19.30. I can adjust the heating at home and at work, start the heating in the Merc so its nice and toasty when I leave work, I can check my shares, my bank accounts, check my networks, connect to my works phone system, order a pizza, book a flight, set my tivo box to record all my fav progs, I love apps I dont know what I did before I had them  

Timers and a vcr or knowing what time your program will start. We all want automation done right. Back to basics it's knowing someone is in an area they shouldn't be. Ie movement detector and an armed system. 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

6 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I love apps I dont know what I did before I had them  

Spending a lot less time worrying about what's on a 5 inch screen that's always under your nose....

My point still stands IMO. It's just a fancy remote control it's still very far from the ubiquitous computing concept of ambient intelligence that would actually be useful to people day to day.

5 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Spending a lot less time worrying about what's on a 5 inch screen that's always under your nose....

6 do your kids not watch telly on one, rather than use the huge screen we would all rather watch. 

Mine use small screens for things i cant get, but thats the way its going and im 44 (this month ffs) so im proper old

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 minute ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

My point still stands IMO. It's just a fancy remote control it's still very far from the ubiquitous computing concept of ambient intelligence that would actually be useful to people day to day.

I disagree, I only look at my phone when something happens that shouldn't, or when someone calls me, the HKC app tells me in voice no need to look. Most of the other stuff like heating is a one time set up and it works from a routine. I am not always looking at my phone the only time I notice I have a text is when I get in my car and my car tells me.

Consuming media is a bit different tho. Entertainment will be consumed by however the watcher can get it conveniently for them. I would consider this like computing a "tool" not entertainment.

I am not saying your that way PJ but you'd be surprised how much time people waste on their phones fecking about with things that don't matter or can wait.

It's still a remote control (and trying to bring it back OT) is that really a priority when your shopping for an alarm, I would say detection and reliability is more important.

7 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Consuming media is a bit different tho. Entertainment will be consumed by however the watcher can get it conveniently for them. I would consider this like computing a "tool" not entertainment.

I am not saying your that way PJ but you'd be surprised how much time people waste on their phones fecking about with things that don't matter or can wait.

It's still a remote control (and trying to bring it back OT) is that really a priority when your shopping for an alarm, I would say detection and reliability is more important.

No I wouldn't, thats how my wife uses hers, and dont forget Ive spent some time in China, they all walk around with their nose ion their phone there.Im too old for Lad baby