Security Installer Community

Veritas R8 / Issues following powercut

Womble

A couple of nights ago we had a brief powercut and the alarm went off - internal and external bell

I couldn't enter the reset code, as the keypad was not working properly - only second 2 columns of numbers were working - other buttons were unresponsive i.e. not beeping when you press them

I tried to reset the system a few times by turning off the power but the alarm kept ringing, and I was still unable to input the reset code into the keypad

Finally, i had no choice but to turn off the power to the control panel and the alarm went off shortly thereafter

There was now no power to the keypad or seemingly the external bell

All this happened at 2am, so we were just glad to get back to bed

The next day, I googled for solutions and it seemed like my battery needed changing, so I ordered an identical Yuasa battery which arrived today.  The external bell beeped every few minutes and today sounded like there was something clicking (like a bicycle bell not ringing properly)

I have changed the battery and powered up but the keypad is still not working and I cannot enter the reset code, and the internal alarm sounds after a few minutes.  However the external bell doesn't ring at all.  I have also tried the battery alone, without the power on and I have the same issues

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Womble said:

A couple of nights ago we had a brief powercut and the alarm went off - internal and external bell

I couldn't enter the reset code, as the keypad was not working properly - only second 2 columns of numbers were working - other buttons were unresponsive i.e. not beeping when you press them

I tried to reset the system a few times by turning off the power but the alarm kept ringing, and I was still unable to input the reset code into the keypad

Finally, i had no choice but to turn off the power to the control panel and the alarm went off shortly thereafter

There was now no power to the keypad or seemingly the external bell

All this happened at 2am, so we were just glad to get back to bed

The next day, I googled for solutions and it seemed like my battery needed changing, so I ordered an identical Yuasa battery which arrived today.  The external bell beeped every few minutes and today sounded like there was something clicking (like a bicycle bell not ringing properly)

I have changed the battery and powered up but the keypad is still not working and I cannot enter the reset code, and the internal alarm sounds after a few minutes.  However the external bell doesn't ring at all.  I have also tried the battery alone, without the power on and I have the same issues

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks!

Well keypad is faulty change that.and move from there 

I would say it's had a surge and maybe blown or lost it's programming.

At least the battery, bellbox maybe keypad have something wrong with them, from the chain of events you describe.

If your going to do this yourself your going to need some knowledge of how to diagnose each part and work from there.

Personally I'd say if your not sure have an installer look at it as you'll end up replacing stuff when your not sure.

It's not cost effective to buy a keypad and then find the panel is blown when they come with one for example.

1 hour ago, Womble said:

Logically I did think of that - but I was wondering if there was anything else I should do first before checking / replacing the keypad

Not really , half keypad working is the keypad , but as swb says it's all at risk 

Realistically scrap it and get something new

Best to call In an alarm engineer to check your system over 

its highly likely there is a major issue with your alarm, even if you did manage to get the keypad working you still would not know if everything was functioning correctly.

I appreciate it’s an expense but better this than find out the hard way and it not work if you get broken into 

Thanks everyone 

Looks like a new control panel is the way to go

My wife doesn’t want anyone in the house until the pandemic is under control - say after we have received vaccines

Unfortunately the alarm is on the same power circuit as some downstairs lights - is there anything we can do to disconnect the alarm, so we can turn the power off?

With the power on / battery unplugged it seems to detect movement and beep accordingly in one of the zones

thanks again!

Should really have an unswitched fused connection unit adjacent the control panel if not you have no way to safely isolate separately from a shared circuit. Alarms aren't designed to be easy to "switch off"  that wouldn't sensible, this is why maintenance for them is important. If the system is working correctly you will likely trigger the external sounders again trying to isolate it.

If your not planning on fixing it for now and it's not making any noise I'd leave it alone IMO.

If it's just a chime sound and your confident it's caused by you activating a sensor, then you could try pressing the "music note" button to disable the chime.

8 hours ago, Womble said:

Yes it does feed the front door bell!  No wonder no one has rung our bell recently!

so, any thoughts on how I can isolate the alarm system?  It would be great to have the downstairs lights back - and the door bell!

If your not competent, get someone who is to disconnect the electric side