Security Installer Community

Optima 2 Plus Alarm - External Bell Box and Strobe

backofthenet

Hi,

I have a very old Optima 2 Plus alarm system which for my sins i have decided to get working again after many years of inactivity.

The system was installed in 1995 I believe - we moved in some years after. 

Anyway have now got most of tye system working again having made sure all PIR's are working and access / exit points are all fine.

However the external bell box / strobe is not working - it's as old as the alarm itself.

so the question is can i source a like for like replacement / repair tye existing unit (not that i know how to)

Best Regards

Mike

1 hour ago, backofthenet said:

It was switched off at the power and battery removed for many years so guess that counts as decommissioned - however i have it switched on without a battery for past couple of years

Its the battery that kills them. So without a battery is fin, but when you replace the sounder you will need a battery, otherwise you wont be popular in a power cut.

2 hours ago, backofthenet said:

Thanks Peter - would you recommend any external sounder/strobe?

Depends on what you want, We use Risco Nova but I think they are trade only, Texe Sounders are good quality, swerve Pyronix the plastic is thin.

I'd add texecom and pyronix are mass market, they definetly hit the numbers on units sold however from SW point of view they also have the highest return of product. As Pete says risco bells

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi All,

So i have replaced all the PIR's now and all is fine apart from one on the landing. The sensor light is not coming on!. So i thought faulty light and tried one of the other PIR's - alas the same - no light.

I'm pretty sure the circuit is wired correctly as when i remove the cover and the alarm is armed then tamper alarm goes off. 

The wiring is straight forward with T1, T2, N, NC V- , V+ - wires configured as per old PIR which was fine. 

Any ideas as to why the sensor light won't come on? - How i can test if it is the PIR or the circuit?

So did all the checks and all was in working order......

The issue was the wiring covering over the sensor!!!! - Typical DIY Job!!

I have 10 (old ) spare PIR's now - 8 in fully working order - the other two work but casing cracked - are these of any use to anyone - or is it the relevant recycling skip at the TIP?

On 28/01/2021 at 16:12, backofthenet said:

Hi,

I have a very old Optima 2 Plus alarm system which for my sins i have decided to get working again after many years of inactivity.

The system was installed in 1995 I believe - we moved in some years after. 

Anyway have now got most of tye system working again having made sure all PIR's are working and access / exit points are all fine.

However the external bell box / strobe is not working - it's as old as the alarm itself.

so the question is can i source a like for like replacement / repair tye existing unit (not that i know how to)

Best Regards

Mike

oops, didn't mean to comment anything 

Edited by sterling t

• 1 month later...

Hello All - finally going to fit the new bell boxes this week and need some help please.

I am fitting some new external alarms – to replace the very old and broken ones (one at front and one at rear. The old ones are fitted to very old optima 2 plus control panel.

The old external bells / strobes are from a company called GardinerTechnology Ltd I think –

The new ones I have are Texecom Odyssey 3E.

A photo is attached for the current wiring in the control panel

Terminals 48 & 49 are strobe – 48 blue wire 49 white wire

T is –ve tamper return – one yellow wire

A is –ve supply (OV) – pair of black wires

D is +ve supply (12v) pair of red wires

B is bell ringer – one white and one green wire connected to this terminal

Question is what wires should go where into the texacoms

f9a6e4d3-0f3b-4c48-aae5-04e358d3b07a.JPG

They come with instructions, you'll have to work out where each cable goes and copy the wiring in the instructions as with two bells and every model has a different ways to wire the tamper through.

You will also need to use the SCB mode so you don't overload the panel. You've worked out what they are on the panel so should be straight forward

Thanks 

The bells have the following terminals

A (12V ) Permanent Positive Supply

B (BELL) Negative Applied Output to Activate Siren

C (TAMP) Negative Removed on Tamper Input

D (0V) Permanent Negative Supply

S (STRB) Negative Applied Output to Activate Strobe