Security Installer Community

Menvier TS900 vs TS900+ and prox tag readers

Evening & seasons greetings ?

I'm after some advice on an alarm system that's installed in my house (recently moved into).  The current system is a TS900 with 3 LCD panels a node expander, 12 PIRS, 3 contact sensors and 4 fire detectors. The house also has a separate door access system with proximity readers - guess the previous owner was quite into his tech ?

Given I have prox tags for the doors and that the primary panel's buttons seem not to be that responsive, it would be nice if the alarm system could be set/unset using them (like my previous house) when I replace that panel.

I started looking at options and noticed the MKP3 and TS900+ work together and would appear to give this function. I can't find a lot of info on the difference between the TS900 and the plus though? I'm not entirely sure if they aren't one and the same tbh! Does anyone know if the MKP3 works with the TS900 to provide prox function? If not, I assume its either switching out the TS900 for the plus or replacing the whole system which seems a little extreme...

Thanks in advance ?

12 hours ago, Mirez said:

I'm after some advice on an alarm system that's installed in my house (recently moved into).  The current system is a TS900 with 3 LCD panels a node expander, 12 PIRS, 3 contact sensors and 4 fire detectors. The house also has a separate door access system with proximity readers - guess the previous owner was quite into his tech ?

TS Networker finished cira 15yrs ago ?

I started looking at options and noticed the MKP3?

This for the M-Series which is also finished, the largest UK supplier has stock on order but it probably quicker & cheaper to look for new old stock  on fleabay

or replacing the whole system which seems a little extreme...

I'd expect you'd be able to pay a man to renew the alarm with similar commercial quality kit for less than half of 1% of the value of the house.

Mr? Veritas God

Thanks for the replies.

So no easy way to get a prox then - that's fine. I'm not sure I understand the replace it replies though, why? Its perfectly functioning and I'm led to believe that the TS900 is a virtually bulletproof panel so give me some good reasoning why I should throw some money at it. Other then prox, what benefits / advancements have there been in alarm systems which can really justify any upgrade cost....

3 minutes ago, Mirez said:

the TS900 is a virtually bulletproof 

Do you have any virtual guns?

Its like most things, in its day it probably was good, most here would say the same about the panels we installed 15 years ago. But its tech, and its been switched on for a long time, the longer its on the more warn out its getting.   

Most of us here have been installing for more years than that panel has been around, and from experience we can say that it will go wrong sooner or later. None of us have a crystal ball, but we all have experience of elderly panels failing at silly o clock in the morning or the day before someone wants to go on holiday.

You could just wait till it goes wrong, and hope it fails at a convenient time. Or you could take the advice of experience and plan ahead. Its up to you we dont care either way. If you do decide to upgrade you will benefit from better features like fobs, smart-phone apps, better energy rating, (the panel is using electricity 24/7 old transformers are not as energy efficient as the latest switchmode psu's) and ultimately less false alarms.  

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Do you have any virtual guns?

Yes lots thanks, I use them to take pop-shots at people trying to make me spend money. ?

I'm not trying to poo-poo the entire of an upgrade and I get this is your trade and how you make a living but as an electronic design engineer I'm not just going to accept "it's old" as a reason to spend money which is why I wanted some further info, Thanks for your input though, the additional benefits of a new panel don't seem to justify the expense so I will indeed just leave it but I'll be sure to curse you heavily if it fails at 2am ?

9 minutes ago, Mirez said:

Yes lots thanks, I use them to take pop-shots at people trying to make me spend money. ?

I'm not trying to poo-poo the entire of an upgrade and I get this is your trade and how you make a living but as an electronic design engineer I'm not just going to accept "it's old" as a reason to spend money which is why I wanted some further info, Thanks for your input though, the additional benefits of a new panel don't seem to justify the expense so I will indeed just leave it but I'll be sure to curse you heavily if it fails at 2am ?

Ah ha design engineer 

Hence why your saying what your saying , I am like some others an electronics engineer , trained in it , so know exactly what nonsense your saying, not far off from the IT experts 

No offence by the way just striaght up, 

Conclusion leave it as is and don't waste your time.

12 minutes ago, Mirez said:

but as an electronic design engineer I'm not just going to accept "it's old"

I would assume it doesn't pay great if your not going pay the same £ as a cheap iphone to replace the controls ?

I would also assume many a child has had a full on melt down over xmas as they got the "cheap" iphone

Mr? Veritas God

15 minutes ago, Mirez said:

I get this is your trade and how you make a living but as an electronic design engineer I'm not just going to accept "it's old" as a reason to spend money which is why I wanted some further info, Thanks for your input though, the additional benefits of a new panel don't seem to justify the expense so I will indeed just leave it but I'll be sure to curse you heavily if it fails at 2am ?

I wont make a penny from giving you advice, the time I spend on here is given up for free. Its not just old though its been powered up and running for the last 15/20 years 

8 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I wont make a penny from giving you advice, the time I spend on here is given up for free. Its not just old though its been powered up and running for the last 15/20 years 

Listen just give your new phone and you bget yourself an smart phone there are some available more than 10years old , they still work 

the inlet on my karcher pressure washer bust the other day

its was £130 ish & over 20yrs old, its from era when we did menever

I've just ordered a new karcher for £110 from screwfix

my company xmas gift to myself...... a cheap DA buffer £60 cash from a cleint

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

the inlet on my karcher pressure washer bust the other day

its was £130 ish & over 20yrs old, its from era when we did menever

I've just ordered a new karcher for £110 from screwfix

my company xmas gift to myself...... a cheap DA buffer £60 cash from a cleint

£110 ? Cheapskate 

All i can say is apply the same logic to everything else in your home. Id like to know the ages of everything else. We dont say it needs to be replaced to do what you want for profit to us, your here posting no-one is making any money. You still have an old system none of us here would have in our homes. I moved into a house with  ts 900 10 years ago. Its gone. I have a v2 hw 1070 now a 10270 due to firmware upgrades. When i cant upgrade firmware i get rid. This is the bit of kit i trust to protect my home and all around it (granted its linked to HA)

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 3 weeks later...

TS900 are pretty robust if installed correctly and serviced regularly.

Still things don't last forever, I often find TS series panels overloaded with failing transformers.

It's also common for the keypads to wear out to the point you need a hammer to press the buttons.

You can try cleaning them and changing the code but at that point your delaying the inevitable.

From memory you would need a 900+ panel for prox to work, so the only way on a 900 would be some third party setting device programed onto a zone, it's not worth the effort compared against an upgrade IMO.