Security Installer Community

ADE Optima can't reset codes nor will internal sounder stop

I'm trying to change our user code because the remote keypad has a bad membrane so I was going to change it to a pin that didn't use that button! 

We don't know our engineer's code so I tried to do a reset of the engineer's code using a strap ##REMOVED## 

So I started the system up again with the strap and left it maybe a minute - no alarm started to sound as it apparently should do, but I'm not sure our external sounder works.

I figure the strap was actually working because the alarm didn't sound when I connected power as it does normally when the tamper switch is unpressed (lid open).

Anyway so after waiting a minute I disconnected the strap and  reconnected power. ALL The lights illuminated. I waited, thinking this might be a bootup sequence thing, but nothing happened and the keypad didn't beep to acknowledge key presses.

Eventually I pushed in the tamper button and the alarm started sounding and the LEDs went out.

However neither ##REMOVED CODES## work - even if followed closely up by a press on the reset button.

I'm confused. If anyone could shed any light I'd be grateful!

Thank you

Edited by sixwheeledbeast
No codes or defaulting instructions as per our guidelines, please

14 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

to skip it and update it

Because if it’s old it’s useless? It’s been working fine for years.

18 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

you have the wrong manual thats an original compact as it only has 6 zones. 

oops. I googled and googled but couldn’t find the manual for this particular compact variant. Will have another go

It is knocking on though an optima compact gen4 isnt exactly much.

Old yes useless maybe not, worth spending much time on, no. But depends how much you need it and how important reliability is. Is also god a horrid cheap battery on it that certainly wont help if it was ever 2.2Ah id be astounded

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks, sensible words there which I’ll bear in mind.

I’m feeling reassured I probably haven’t damaged it because I found a manual for an accenta 8 (same thing with two extra zones?) and it had the exact same reset routine. 

does any of its behaviour sound normal? Like the way all the lights lit but then none of the button presses registered until I pressed the tamper spring in at which point the alarm went off and again neither of the supposedly reset user/engineer codes were recognised

on power up from new (if you reset it then its the same sort of thing) it will show active circuits till you press a button etc. Whats concerning me is the fact its not accepting the default code. If its that old it wont have an engineer code. Just the user code. 

Ah well then that makes a bit more sense (but it didn’t respond to ANY button presses, only the tamper spring snapped it out of its trance) 

are you sure it doesn’t have an engineer code? The manual says it’s #### ? 

but you know a lot more about this than me so if you say it doesn’t then it doesn’t!

46 minutes ago, daneboomerang said:

Because if it’s old it’s useless? It’s been working fine for years.

oops. I googled and googled but couldn’t find the manual for this particular compact variant. Will have another go

Changing code won't last long , your wasting your time and effort 

What device you have to post on this forum , Android or apple?

When first powered up its in a test mode showing open circuits. Once you clear them all it will then go to rest / day mode. 

One option is to remove all circuit wiring (marking up first and take a photo) then link out all to prove the panel. If the panel functions with all circuits, tampers etc closed then you have a base point to start from

45 minutes ago, daneboomerang said:

I’m really struggling to understand what you’re getting at, fella. Sorry. I can see your heart’s in the right place but I just can’t understand you 

What device you use to comment on forum.android or apple just wondering lol

No struggle in knowing that keypad is going to fail further dude

42 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

When first powered up its in a test mode showing open circuits. Once you clear them all it will then go to rest / day mode. 

One option is to remove all circuit wiring (marking up first and take a photo) then link out all to prove the panel. If the panel functions with all circuits, tampers etc closed then you have a base point to start from

But by then easier to replace .....

1 hour ago, daneboomerang said:

I’m really struggling to understand what you’re getting at, fella. Sorry. I can see your heart’s in the right place but I just can’t understand you 

reading between the lines ?

@al-yeti is implying its a piece of shit which belongs in a skip, you cheap skate.... 

• Thanks 3

Mr? Veritas God

He might be implying that...but the only way he’s right is if it’s now broken. Something that’s given years and years of problem free service is by definition not a “piece of ****”. I don’t buy into disposable culture. I may well replace this panel but not before I’ve looked into my options. Thanks to James wilson for the support.

29 minutes ago, daneboomerang said:

He might be implying that...but the only way he’s right is if it’s now broken. Something that’s given years and years of problem free service is by definition not a “piece of ****”. I don’t buy into disposable culture. I may well replace this panel but not before I’ve looked into my options. Thanks to James wilson for the support.

Lol disposable culture isn't what your saying , anyhow the keypad is going to give you trouble.

I am all for keeping serviceable well maintained systems irrelevant of age. From the pictures I wouldn't be wasting time on that mess and want to be upgrading it.

You can't expect a cheap domestic onboard panel to work in a dusty/dirty environment for very long.

It also appears to have been lacking any maintenance with one of those batteries in and what's with the two woodscrews holding the transformer in...

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

James Wilson Said "When first powered up its in a test mode showing open circuits. Once you clear them all it will then go to rest / day mode.   One option is to remove all circuit wiring (marking up first and take a photo) then link out all to prove the panel. If the panel functions with all circuits, tampers etc closed then you have a base point to start from"

and that's your answer - it works, it worked for me. 

No defaulting information

15 hours ago, PeBe said:

James Wilson Said "When first powered up its in a test mode showing open circuits. Once you clear them all it will then go to rest / day mode.   One option is to remove all circuit wiring (marking up first and take a photo) then link out all to prove the panel. If the panel functions with all circuits, tampers etc closed then you have a base point to start from"

and that's your answer - it works, it worked for me.

Since the last post was Dec 2020 your a bit late to the party 

image.png

as above