Security Installer Community

Electrician converting to intruder alarm engineer

James R

Hi all, 

I am stepping into intruder alarms after being a sparks for nearly 20 yrs. 

I am part of a firm who just does intruder alarms now and feel like an apprentice again but want to learn from the ground up... Any advice of any sort from seasoned intruder alarm installers would be much appreciated 

Regards

15 minutes ago, James R said:

Hi all, 

I am stepping into intruder alarms after being a sparks for nearly 20 yrs. 

I am part of a firm who just does intruder alarms now and feel like an apprentice again but want to learn from the ground up... Any advice of any sort from seasoned intruder alarm installers would be much appreciated 

Regards

Some helpful advise if you see a paragon panel rip it off the wall and stamp on it immediately 

• Upvote 2

I converted to security about 6 years ago after being a sparks... I do prefer it but best advice I can give you is make sure you learn as much as you can from your colleagues as the information isn't as widely available on the Internet as it is for sparks. If it's just intruder alarms then there's not much to worry about but it does get complicated if you need to integrate it with CCTV and access control etc on a large commercial. 

As for what's the best intruder alarm... There isn't one. If you asked 5 different alarm engineers what the best panel is they will name 5 different brands. Alarm engineers tend to fit the brands that they are experienced in and know inside out. The actual concept of an alarm is the same amongst all the brands but they all have their own menu setups and characteristics. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, KWCFC said:

I converted to security about 6 years ago after being a sparks... I do prefer it but best advice I can give you is make sure you learn as much as you can from your colleagues as the information isn't as widely available on the Internet as it is for sparks. If it's just intruder alarms then there's not much to worry about but it does get complicated if you need to integrate it with CCTV and access control etc on a large commercial. 

As for what's the best intruder alarm... There isn't one. If you asked 5 different alarm engineers what the best panel is they will name 5 different brands. Alarm engineers tend to fit the brands that they are experienced in and know inside out. The actual concept of an alarm is the same amongst all the brands but they all have their own menu setups and characteristics. 

Thanks. Yes, that makes sense. We use texecom premier elite - but also look after sites that have All sorts of makes/models of intruder alarms

Also into access control - networked stuff (Paxton, salto, interflex) and auto doors, gates, barriers, roller shutters etc it's like being an apprentice - again at the tender age of 35 ?