Security Installer Community

poor wifi signal

bjj

Hi can anyone help on this problem my son in law has his talk talk router in his office, the signal in the kitchen extension ( other side of house) is rubbish with wifi boosters, but he has a cat5 cable from the router in the office to a netgear 8 way switch in the kitchen which he uses for the tv and other equipment. What we are trying to find out is there any sort of kit that can be fitted on the network cable at the switch end to boost the signal. I did hear once that you could use another router connected to the cat5 cable and use that as a wifi booster is that so.

many thanks.

bjj

20 minutes ago, bjj said:

Hi can anyone help on this problem my son in law has his talk talk router in his office, the signal in the kitchen extension ( other side of house) is rubbish with wifi boosters, but he has a cat5 cable from the router in the office to a netgear 8 way switch in the kitchen which he uses for the tv and other equipment. What we are trying to find out is there any sort of kit that can be fitted on the network cable at the switch end to boost the signal. I did hear once that you could use another router connected to the cat5 cable and use that as a wifi booster is that so.

many thanks.

bjj

You could do that yes , it's cheap way of doing it , better than a cheap booster or repeater 

A switch with an access point is possibly the term your looking for. Or maybe just an access point plugged into the current switch.

Every site is different when it comes to WiFi signal, so many variables to work with.

In a standard house the router is often in the worst place for WiFi signal due where the master socket is.

Often disabling the WiFi at the router and having a decent wired access point in a central location best solution with minimal kit cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bjj said:

Thanks for your quick reply, when you say  booster or repeater can you plug in network cable from the router into the booster/repeater.

many thanks

bjj

Yes you could get a cheap version repeater or booster which can take a cable but from what I seen they still don't work well so you could just get another router with onboard WiFi and connect that with maybe a small amount of changes in settings 

This is cheap way of doing it 

As swb said access point, but decent ones cost money

• Like 1

Not a fan of those plug in app only setup mesh boxes. Like DIY alarms...

More business end but most Draytek AP's are mesh, the new 802 is pretty compact and has a LAN port.

I still say for the OP a half decent wired AP somewhere central will probably do it. Boosters are only as good as they get, garbage in garbage out.