Security Installer Community

New amateur seeking a bit of advice.

inspiredron

1 minute ago, inspiredron said:

There are no door contacts - I only have PIR's - I'd realised that it would be possible to put door contacts in series as a single zone which is why I said no door contact on front door in first line of my latest post.

yeah I didnt read it properly I get bored with long posts 

• Like 1

You could have everything on FE if you wanted although it's not advised. Bear in mind the more you put on the entry route the less "instant" protection you have.

Personally I always try to avoid having systems on timed exit but you have no option if you have no other way to terminate the setting procedure.

Got an install coming up where it's just PIRs - been specced by some 'Architects'  - no door contacts no internal sounder and no bell box ?? we went back to them - WTF is this even an alarm? if so it will be a silent one.

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

You could have everything on FE if you wanted although it's not advised. Bear in mind the more you put on the entry route the less "instant" protection you have.

Personally I always try to avoid having systems on timed exit but you have no option if you have no other way to terminate the setting procedure.

Thank you for that response. Yes I do understand the penalty - however, since there is nothing of value in either hall or utiilty room it does not seem too much of a penalty.  For the consumer, if an alarm is not convenient and easy to use then it gets abandoned, unless the insurer insists on it and then, quite rightly, they require NACOSS or equivalent maintenance.  There is still a place for those of us who want to make the casual villain move on when he gets an unexpected welcome.

It was exactly your point about diluting security and effectiveness that led me to ask about the ability to tailor the entry time to allow a longer entry time to get from the back door to keypad without compromising the shorter time from the front door.

Now I know that I can have multiple FE's I can experiment with other settings.  But I wish that the manual was clearer on the syntax of the parameter strings for the zone attributes.  I had already experimented with setting the utility room as ER, thinking that was an alternative entry route and, of course, that gave an INSTANT alarm without a countdown as soon as it was triggered which, to be fair, is documented under attribute 06 once you read it with the benefit of making that mistake.

James - Did the architect specify a comms module? He might just want to catch the beggars - a sort of duress setting - but if I was up in bed i'd appreciate a howling banshee from a sounder!

PS  I should have posted thit in the DIY forum, which I had not seen.  Can a mod please move it if appropriate?

Edited by inspiredron
added PS about posting in wrong section.

1 hour ago, James R said:

Got an install coming up where it's just PIRs - been specced by some 'Architects'  - no door contacts no internal sounder and no bell box ?? we went back to them - WTF is this even an alarm? if so it will be a silent one.

Out of curiosity you ssaib or nsi?