Security Installer Community

Global Tamper - Old Veritas Excel

kiteboy

Hi all 

Ive recently added a new PIR in kitchen extension - well that was a few years ago really and the alarm hasnt worked for a while now as weve had quite a bit of work done in the house

I have had the tamper light on for ages on the keypad and the alarm would not set - so Ive been trying to sort and while its working now (kind of)  I dont think any of the tampers are working at all

Ive added new PIRs today and  by swapping the old ones off  (for the pet friendly type) - I think the alarm should go off when the covers comes off but its not working - so I dont think the tamper is right

I dont have any resistors or anything like that so I assume I just have a global tamper ???

I have a communicator module and have looked at the install instructions and while the tamper to the main board is probably wrong (with the two greens) what I dont quite get is the junction block too

I have no idea what the black and blue wire is in that block

I know the colours are different to the manual but that was my installer who did that (i have tried to contact him but no reply)

Having the tamper back on isnt a massive deal but it would be nice to get it wired up correctly - I think the junction block is the key really - thats where most of the green and white wires go (which are the tamper wires on my system) Im just not sure what that black and blue are

I have a mutimeter if that would help to diagnose

Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks

20201121_165250.thumb.jpg.6b44b77c20c6de416ecacab656e90f9d.jpg

20201121_165300.thumb.jpg.78ffc455434483e0e0d002616ce1f8e4.jpg

All these tampers should be in series, colours don't mean much they just mean you can identify them at both ends not what they terminate into, investigation and a multimeter is the answer.

Find all the tamper pairs check them all individually, after you find and fix whatever is open, make sure they are all in series. Will only clear with lid closed too.

If it's out of your depth maybe consider having an engineer look at it, most would recommend upgrading to something more modern without a global tamper.

To fix you would need find tamper fault, set a multimeter to resistance and place on 2 green wires places in tamp, you should see a reading near 0, if not you will need to break down and test each zone wire individual until fault is found, in contact the tamper is magnetic, on pir the tamper is mechanical switch or electronic contact.

The junction box is where each tamper is wired in series so that if loop is broken tamper loop the alarm goes off.

1 hour ago, btssn said:

To fix you would need find tamper fault, set a multimeter to resistance and place on 2 green wires places in tamp, you should see a reading near 0, if not you will need to break down and test each zone wire individual until fault is found, in contact the tamper is magnetic, on pir the tamper is mechanical switch or electronic contact.

The junction box is where each tamper is wired in series so that if loop is broken tamper loop the alarm goes off.

You mean short your leads make sure your meter goes zero , and it's unlikely to be near zero if long runs but low reading 

I would break the block if it's not working anyway , identify each tamper , test each one and then locate problem 

But as said above upgrade panel or get rid of internet.....

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all - I will have a crack at it later on today or this week just to see if I can identify and understand how he has wired it up

Its good learning anyway plus I was thinking of converting it to a smart alarm with one of these konnected boards and hassio - but not sure yet its a bit of money for lets face it not much benefit really