Security Installer Community

Galaxy Flex 50

mikejc

Hi all,

New to the alarm game. I've recently had extensive work done at my house and took the opportunity to put alarm cables at all windows and external doors and for a couple for PIRs.

Purchased a used flex 50 from ebay. I've powered it up and seems to be showing the right signs of working properly (led on after 30 secs then flashing every 1.5 secs).

I also have a mk8 prox keypad arriving soon. Is there anything I can do to check the keypad is functioning ok so I know if I need to return it?

Also, any recommendations for PIRs (have no pet at the moment but might in the future)? Also need an external sounder (also have an alarm cable for this).

Thanks

if you have perimeter protection then you would be best programming the system around pets, pet sensors can have mixed results and with starting from design stage you are better not using them.

i normally look for sealed optics generally fitting Optex but other brands like Bosch have sealed quads.

Buying from ebay isn't ideal if you have no idea what your testing for, although if you have the panel wire it all up, program and bench test it first.

Don't rate the light up external sounders but with the main manufacturers they are more chosen on aesthetics and branding for installers really.

1 hour ago, mikejc said:

Hi all,

New to the alarm game. I've recently had extensive work done at my house and took the opportunity to put alarm cables at all windows and external doors and for a couple for PIRs.

Purchased a used flex 50 from ebay. I've powered it up and seems to be showing the right signs of working properly (led on after 30 secs then flashing every 1.5 secs).

I also have a mk8 prox keypad arriving soon. Is there anything I can do to check the keypad is functioning ok so I know if I need to return it?

Also, any recommendations for PIRs (have no pet at the moment but might in the future)? Also need an external sounder (also have an alarm cable for this).

Thanks

Hopefully, you're not powering up without a keypad. If you do that, then you cannot use the correct process to power down (menu 51.17-power off) and wait until the keypad shows 'Safe to power off'.

With Flex, if you just pull the power, you have a small chance that you will corrupt the flash filesystem, leaving the panel bricked.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mikejc said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Wait for keypad and connect it to see if it works?

43 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

if you have perimeter protection then you would be best programming the system around pets, pet sensors can have mixed results and with starting from design stage you are better not using them.

i normally look for sealed optics generally fitting Optex but other brands like Bosch have sealed quads.

Buying from ebay isn't ideal if you have no idea what your testing for, although if you have the panel wire it all up, program and bench test it first.

Don't rate the light up external sounders but with the main manufacturers they are more chosen on aesthetics and branding for installers really.

thanks. Yes all external entries have sensors. I had considered using PIRs for home automation but from what I've read on this forum that may not be easily achievable. As you say I'll just stick with the windows and door sensors for now.

36 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

Hopefully, you're not powering up without a keypad. If you do that, then you cannot use the correct process to power down (menu 51.17-power off) and wait until the keypad shows 'Safe to power off'.

With Flex, if you just pull the power, you have a small chance that you will corrupt the flash filesystem, leaving the panel bricked.

Ok thanks was not aware. Powered up once to see if it worked. I'll wait for the keypad to arrive before I do it again.

17 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Wait for keypad and connect it to see if it works?

I will now. I guess there's nothing in particular to look  out for then

9 minutes ago, mikejc said:

Ok thanks was not aware. Powered up once to see if it worked. I'll wait for the keypad to arrive before I do it again.

I will now. I guess there's nothing in particular to look  out for then

See what errors keypad show?

34 minutes ago, mikejc said:

Will do. Bought it used and only get a few days to determine if faulty so hopefully no errors. Didn't pay much for it so was a risk worth taking

How much for control panel and keypad , show me receipt lol

3 hours ago, mikejc said:

Right I misunderstood you. Are the pet ones not reliable?

Your asking a 20 ish quid at the low end to determine that the movement wasn't a person. As 6 I hate them haven't found one I'd use yet

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

All good so far. Enabled engineers mode and was able to power down using the keypad. Hopefully this means the keypad and board are ok.

Thanks for all your help

IMG_20201109_195031.jpg

11 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I rate the Bosch ones but still I would only retro them, best to design the system for pets with perimeter kit from the start.

Use programming to adapt the system and omit sensors not use sensors that are designed to detect less.

Ok thanks. I'll keep this in mind when looking into PIRs