Security Installer Community

Ring Cameras

I'd class it as prosumer better than yale response etc but not a 'pro' bit of kit. I would also say that market is merging for the DIY+ market they know they can't get the right stuff from b&q screwfix etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

at last a adult comment, thank you James Wilson.

Norman, you seem confused the reference to the 5 - 7 response time is if you run their monitoring software and dispatch your own guards, guessing its a European thing, or at least eastern European 

as for my English language friend, what are you on about! ive already said I don't fit this stuff, or in fact any alarms im not in that industry!

you comment about support holds true for Ajax as it does for galaxy, you have to be a company to get support. although Honeywell never check what you tell them!

Edited by scrimshanker
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, scrimshanker said:

Norman, you seem confused the reference to the 5 - 7 response time is if you run their monitoring software and dispatch your own guards

Why would they advertise your response times, they have no control over them?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, scrimshanker said:

at last a adult comment, thank you James Wilson.

I don't like this attitude, condescending to rule out everybody else's opinion as childish because it doesn't align with your opinions. Maybe your not but it comes across that way.

Remember most trade contributors have decades of experience screwing boxes of electronics to walls with some effort of providing security and detection.

If this is the type of answer you are looking for then it's a different topic of conversation about the industry as a whole, it's a massive bag of worms difficult to put in one post...

as for my English language friend, what are you on about! ive already said I don't fit this stuff, or in fact any alarms im not in that industry!

you comment about support holds true for Ajax as it does for galaxy, you have to be a company to get support. although Honeywell never check what you tell them!

You contradict yourself in the same post, your not in the industry but they replied to your support ticket. I'm not surprised BTW.

I don't think any company can truly ignore a request for support it just looks bad, this is where they have to strike some balance and were installers would prefer they at least had priority.

It's always been the same anyone can get hold of any kit, I don't feel you can withhold basic support in this instance. Just like with any other products not in the industry.

The issue is you can't teach someone how to fit a "pro" alarm system via a support ticket or a forum, engineers have had years of training or apprenticeships to understand how it all fits together and apply it.

This is were prosumer or DIY falls apart IMO, it's not just about the product it's about the knowledge and application of it. The "pro" gear has also had years of tweaks, specifically for the UK market to make it adaptable for every installation and engineers are trained and get support on it. You can't condense years of installer knowledge on security into a prosumer product or make a DIY install manual.

The grading thing your asking about is sort of irrelevant for this instance, you can only fit a graded system as a company. It's the whole fitted system that "becomes graded", the component parts of the system have to conform but the system is graded as a whole. So outside of the industry it means very little unless you understand what each grade means and have knowledge of each standard that parts correspond to. We also have different variations on top of the EN standard in the UK too, we refer back to BS4743 and then we have BS8243 as some examples.

The other points Al alluded to is who tested the kit conformed? Has it had third party testing for the UK market? At best it's unproven along side established products.

The UK market is very different and why I believe lot of this "tat" is pitched as prosumer/DIY were I could see a company fitting it in the rest of the EU. It's also pointless to try and break into a market that has plenty of options with a new product that does similar to what your engineers are trained on.

Also any product could claim it's two way but only have one component two way (cough, powermax tat) this is where marketing comes in. Unless you understand how this type of kit functions in a activation, what the spec sheet or marketing says means very little.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I didn't say I wasn't in the security industry just I wasn't in the alarm industry.

As previously stated im in the enterprise market, national infrastructure, blue light, public space. they don't use alarms, just inputs and outputs from the access systems

they also don't use the grading system as its not relevant, for the most part

They replied to my support ticket because it came from a limited company, I'm not so sure they would reply from an individual

They've just replied to mine using a GMX account and stupid name.

• Upvote 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.