Security Installer Community

Ring Cameras

Ring, blink, and all the other cheap tat is better than the old tvl systems with a VCR, but at the moment its a long way from proper CCTV.

James has a test Blink system and it is mildly impressive for the money, if 5 secs of video motion every time someone visits your house or when go out or you come home is enough for you.

18 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I read a spec today 450tvl or better for the CCTV

Had me down as the maintainer, we got binned off 5 yrs or more ago ?

But the Co who they binned you off for where to cheap and have since gone bump.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

the ring picture is 1080p and the recordings are 30's long or more for motion. and there's no recording device to be stolen on site by would be invaders!

seems a better option in some respects to tradition cctv. granted you can be far more precise with tradition as ring is a one size fits none but ease of install and quality app goes a long way

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, scrimshanker said:

the ring picture is 1080p and the recordings are 30's long or more for motion. and there's no recording device to be stolen on site by would be invaders!

seems a better option in some respects to tradition cctv. granted you can be far more precise with tradition as ring is a one size fits none but ease of install and quality app goes a long way

But you can get this on some recorders let's s at basic him which will backup short snaps to one drive 

Why why are you all Muppets going on about ring ring ring 

Basically it's cheap DIY , which some are putting in as if they are some kind of trader of CCTV for devices which are DIY 

Be serious , ring is a door bell with a camera and flood light with a camera they make money from Muppets who want cheap which is fine because that's why it's a DIY product 

• Upvote 1

Motion is not reliable for external environments and your completely missing the point of having your own data with no reliance on third parties.

You say about the recorder being stolen, seems like the opinion of someone who would have CCTV without an alarm (increasingly common).

Security is all about layers and this DIY type stuff contributes very little to this, it has an application for some people but it's not "security" like the way they market it.

9 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

You say about the recorder being stolen, seems like the opinion of someone who would have CCTV without an alarm (increasingly common).

See this is the one, so many I ask y not alarm first (even tho more margin if I get the CCTV) I push them to take alarm something makes noise so they more panicked to leave without the recorder if they can find it 

42 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

plus in current times, basball cap and face mask cctv pretty useless

Yes man

Plenty of burglaries taking place with ring , easy to know your not home and some don't give a monkies if they get the image of there face or not , they simply break in take what they want 

Ring ring ring doorbell to the rescue 

A lot of hate for ring I see. Some of you say get an alarm first as cctv is useless because of burglars wearing mask, correct but the same burglars don't give a **** about alarms either. 

Some of you miss the point, it's not all about stopping a break in but more knowing what is going on around you home. 

• Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, scrimshanker said:

A lot of hate for ring I see. Some of you say get an alarm first as cctv is useless because of burglars wearing mask, correct but the same burglars don't give a **** about alarms either. 

Some of you miss the point, it's not all about stopping a break in but more knowing what is going on around you home. 

No hate , it's DIY product with alloy of flaws 

I prefer stopping the break in , if CCTV is present it's a.small bonus , but prefer to have alarm with some kind of monitoring

If you're in to stopping the break in then surely you're all about steel doors, smoke cloaks and window bars, because alarms and cctv don't stop break ins they just make you aware it's happened and allow you to investigate post break in

I never said it wasn't consumer, just asked whether it had a role.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, scrimshanker said:

On 06/11/2020 at 12:40, sixwheeledbeast said:

Security is all about layers and this DIY type stuff contributes very little to this, it has an application for some people but it's not "security" like the way they market it.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, scrimshanker said:

If you're in to stopping the break in then surely you're all about steel doors, smoke cloaks and window bars, because alarms and cctv don't stop break ins they just make you aware it's happened and allow you to investigate post break in

How does CCTV make you aware at the time it's happening , your going rely on push notifications lol 

Come on be more serious 

1 minute ago, al-yeti said:

How does CCTV make you aware at the time it's happening , your going rely on push notifications lol 

Come on be more serious 

I said it helps with the investigation post break in! Meaning after the break in, it doesn't help with being alerted it's happening. 

You arent the only pro here, I was asking for your thoughts on whether ring cameras could substitute full cctv for domestics which don't need full cctv

57 minutes ago, scrimshanker said:

its 2020 petrol & battery powered cutting stuff is going to open up most premises despite there psychical security

the nice thing about about alarm is the EWD, twated off the wall at the start of the break starts the 1st signal, unlike cctv it gonna work in power cut & probably gonna signal even when the internet or telephone line get cut.

& its probably in place due to the insurer rather than the subscriber wanting it & the rozzers might even turn up on confirmed alarm

the people with shutters, safes & alarm rarely get robbed

the people with sawn cctv, yale alarm apps ect.. do get robbed

Mr? Veritas God

10 hours ago, scrimshanker said:

I said it helps with the investigation post break in! Meaning after the break in, it doesn't help with being alerted it's happening. 

You arent the only pro here, I was asking for your thoughts on whether ring cameras could substitute full cctv for domestics which don't need full cctv

I am not a pro 

Ring cameras are not real CCTV , they are door bells and floodlights with a camera on them 

Substitute is just cos they cheap and aimed at DIY market 

You plan to start it as a ring installer hence you fit a door bell get your £60 and your done , I assume this is really y your asking