Security Installer Community

Pyronix bell box going off by itself?

Moiser

4 hours ago, Moiser said:

then the company went bust.

you know why ?

4 hours ago, Moiser said:

serviced for the first couple of years.....whole thing took about 20mins!!

they where taking too long on the jobs ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

Thanks  for the responses,  I have resolved two issues....

1. Bell going off for no apparent reason. The bell box's are mounted on a garage wall made up of feather edge boarding and when I looked closely at the box that triggered the microswitch was quite loose so I suspect it was just a little movement in the boarding or warping over the years that triggered the alarm.  To resolve this I have mounted the box and a piece of 1/2" ply so its on a flat surface and have adjusted the microswitch using the adjusting screw to ensure a positive closure.  This will remove any possibility of the boarding disturbing the microswitch.

2. Tamper alarm not being seen by the control unit. This was a simple wiring error as both bell box's were wired in parallel so a tamper in one was not seen as the circuit was still intact via the other box. I have wired these in series  and now the control panel alarms if either box is tampered with and  the alarm can be reset via the control panel. I also did a visual inspection of all wiring for damage and did a meter check for continuity and voltage. Clearly the bell box tamper alarm was not checked at initial installation or subsequent services.

Full walk test and sounder/bell/panel test and tamper test carried out and all is good.

Many thanks for the clues  and help, only time will tell if my analysis for the first fault is correct but at least I can silence the alarm when it does occur now.

Will also look for a reliable alarm maintenance firm in the area, just in case!

27 minutes ago, Moiser said:

Thanks  for the responses,  I have resolved two issues....

1. Bell going off for no apparent reason. The bell box's are mounted on a garage wall made up of feather edge boarding and when I looked closely at the box that triggered the microswitch was quite loose so I suspect it was just a little movement in the boarding or warping over the years that triggered the alarm.  To resolve this I have mounted the box and a piece of 1/2" ply so its on a flat surface and have adjusted the microswitch using the adjusting screw to ensure a positive closure.  This will remove any possibility of the boarding disturbing the microswitch.

2. Tamper alarm not being seen by the control unit. This was a simple wiring error as both bell box's were wired in parallel so a tamper in one was not seen as the circuit was still intact via the other box. I have wired these in series  and now the control panel alarms if either box is tampered with and  the alarm can be reset via the control panel. I also did a visual inspection of all wiring for damage and did a meter check for continuity and voltage. Clearly the bell box tamper alarm was not checked at initial installation or subsequent services.

Full walk test and sounder/bell/panel test and tamper test carried out and all is good.

Many thanks for the clues  and help, only time will tell if my analysis for the first fault is correct but at least I can silence the alarm when it does occur now.

Will also look for a reliable alarm maintenance firm in the area, just in case!

You know ply will rot 

But you get sometime out of it lol