Security Installer Community

Remote viewing with a VPN Internet connection?

inglishg

I not particularly expert on computers and the Internet, so a question from one guy leaves me in the position where I need to ask you experts...

A customer has a cctv system using the (dare i say it) xmeye software. 

However, despite the system apparently having a good Internet connection (via mains booster sockets, rather than hard wired ethernet cable), he cannot get access on his phone when he scans the serial number QR code.

He has said he uses a VPN to hide his location as he has some remote TV access via a fire stick. 

Is this the reason for his trouble, and should he do something different?

Thanks in advance for your help!

40 minutes ago, inglishg said:

I not particularly expert on computers and the Internet, so a question from one guy leaves me in the position where I need to ask you experts...

A customer has a cctv system using the (dare i say it) xmeye software. 

However, despite the system apparently having a good Internet connection (via mains booster sockets, rather than hard wired ethernet cable), he cannot get access on his phone when he scans the serial number QR code.

He has said he uses a VPN to hide his location as he has some remote TV access via a fire stick. 

Is this the reason for his trouble, and should he do something different?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Is he on O2 or ee?

8 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Is he on O2 or ee?

I understand he is using a hard wired Sky broadband but uses a VPN to protect his firestick viewing.

8 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Possibly. Depends how the network is setup and the provider. Do all connections definitely go via the VPN?

If he's been able to set his network up to route most traffic via a VPN, I would expect he would be capable of setting the cameras to not use it?

I don't know who set up his VPN, or how it is configured. In truth I know nowt about them!

I'll call to see him when I'm in his area later this week and try to gain more info. 

Thanks for the help you've been able to give again. 

12 minutes ago, inglishg said:

I don't know who set up his VPN, or how it is configured. In truth I know nowt about them!

I'll call to see him when I'm in his area later this week and try to gain more info. 

Thanks for the help you've been able to give again. 

Cool tell him to hire IT man , I assume everything works without VPN 

19 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Cool tell him to hire IT man , I assume everything works without VPN 

He's had his VPN for a while - he was quick to demonstrate the vast access to literally thousands of TV channels, but needs to "hide" behind a VPN (probably makes more sense to you than me...I just have freeview which gives me what I need!)

However his cctv is new and he's not been able to get it running despite showing an Internet connection...and thought I may be able to help.

I said not me, but suggested I may be able to find someone who can!

Thanks again for any pointers you can give. 

To try and give you some idea it's not specifically "a VPN" that would cause an issue. VPN is a bit of a sales buzzword at the moment and used for all sorts of services and marketing rubbish.

In a simple form they are just a way of tunnelling your traffic via an "encrypted pipe" to another location anywhere on the internet, you can have private ones to link remote sites as if they are on the same network for example.

"VPN services" you see advertised are generally sold to pipe as many connections as possible so there connections look like they are in another country this would be to access geolocation blocked media. You wouldn't expect to get all services through these due to NAT and the way the traffic is routed, certainly hosting services would be an issue like with CGNAT.

To try put it simply you need to know where this "pipe" starts (I am assuming the router in this case?) and not route the CCTV via it if possible.

Edited by sixwheeledbeast
typo
  • Thanks 1

This is very helpful - thanks. 

I'm sure the guy knows more about all this Internet stuff, so he should be well placed now. 

I do so much appreciate you helping like this. 

4 hours ago, inglishg said:

He's had his VPN for a while - he was quick to demonstrate the vast access to literally thousands of TV channels, but needs to "hide" behind a VPN (probably makes more sense to you than me...I just have freeview which gives me what I need!)

However his cctv is new and he's not been able to get it running despite showing an Internet connection...and thought I may be able to help.

I said not me, but suggested I may be able to find someone who can!

Thanks again for any pointers you can give. 

You mean he's teefing TV channels so trying to hide behind VPN , funny thing is , if authorities were after every small timer he would easily get caught , VPN don't hide you completely....

Thanks, that's what I imagined as it seems common now for folk to use these adapted firestick things. 

I'll stick to freeview and sleep easy ?

One solution would be, fit a mobile 4g router (with data sim in it) & connect this directly to his Cctv, this would give him remote viewing. 
granted would cost him a few extra quid a month topping up pay as you go data but it would work

Ive used this method a few times to remote view empty properties that have no internet connection 

Thanks for this. 

Yes this could be a solution. 

How much data would you think is needed each month - occasional remote viewing - perhaps 20/30 mins per day?

42 minutes ago, inglishg said:

Thanks for this. 

Yes this could be a solution. 

How much data would you think is needed each month - occasional remote viewing - perhaps 20/30 mins per day?

You know it depends on recorder and setup , I seen some apps not release on phones as it's still running in background eating the data lol