Security Installer Community

Honeywell GX remote Control Broke - Repeat Notifications - iOS 14?

JB1970

Not sure if anyone else is having issues who uses GX Remote Control for their Honeywell Galaxy/Dimension panels.

Since yesterday when I receive an event I get repeat notifications continually, non stop.  So setting the system, the phone pings continuously every 5 or so seconds with the "set" message and won't stop.  One of my customers is having the same issue.  Strangely I've found that receipt of a text message from anyone will kill the notifications from GX Remote Control until the next push notification. So each time the system is set/unset, my wife and I exchange a text to stop the issue!  I've tried deleting and re installing the app but this doesn't fix it.  It may be that the new iOS 14 update has caused the issue.

7 minutes ago, JB1970 said:

Meh - it’s called progress. Been a few years since I used a direct line for comms ?, but thanks for the helpful reply

Apps - making life harder for alarm co's & providing little or no revenue.

As for progress, will your app signal without power to the premises or the line cut ?

App ain't really suited for security...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

5 hours ago, JB1970 said:

Not sure if anyone else is having issues who uses GX Remote Control for their Honeywell Galaxy/Dimension panels.

Since yesterday when I receive an event I get repeat notifications continually, non stop.  So setting the system, the phone pings continuously every 5 or so seconds with the "set" message and won't stop.  One of my customers is having the same issue.  Strangely I've found that receipt of a text message from anyone will kill the notifications from GX Remote Control until the next push notification. So each time the system is set/unset, my wife and I exchange a text to stop the issue!  I've tried deleting and re installing the app but this doesn't fix it.  It may be that the new iOS 14 update has caused the issue.

So nothing to do with alarm then

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Apps - making life harder for alarm co's & providing little or no revenue.

As for progress, will your app signal without power to the premises or the line cut ?

App ain't really suited for security...

It will if you have the GSM/GPRS module fitted. You can have quadruple path  PSTN/Ethernet/GSM/GPRS. Totally agree they're a pain for alarm companies.

9 hours ago, JB1970 said:

You can always opt for selfmon. At least you'll have someone to call if you have an issue with Comms. Otherwise, with the free service, you just have to suck it up until Honeywell can be bothered fixing the issue. With iOS apps it can take a while to release a new version.

56 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

It will if you have the GSM/GPRS module fitted. You can have quadruple path  PSTN/Ethernet/GSM/GPRS. Totally agree they're a pain for alarm companies.

PSTN ? how retro...

50 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

You can always opt for selfmon. At least you'll have someone to call if you have an issue with Comms. Otherwise, with the free service, you just have to suck it up until Honeywell can be bothered fixing the issue. With iOS apps it can take a while to release a new version.

I'll offer an opinion via PM ?

Where is the incentive for Honeywell to fix it, the app provides no income ?

• Like 1

Mr? Veritas God

10 hours ago, MrHappy said:

PSTN ? how retro...

I'll offer an opinion via PM ?

Where is the incentive for Honeywell to fix it, the app provides no income ?

Yes, I imagine most companies feel the pain of apps. You can't just write the app, then forget about it. There's various certs and backend services to manage and each time there's a major new release for a new shiny phone model, the app needs updated, causing backwards compatibility issues for existing users with older devices.

I think with something like an alarm panel, it would be easier just implementing a secure webserver and decent API in the Ethernet device. At least that way, as a manufacturer, you have more control over things.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

Yes, I imagine most companies feel the pain of apps. You can't just write the app, then forget about it. There's various certs and backend services to manage and each time there's a major new release for a new shiny phone model, the app needs updated, causing backwards compatibility issues for existing users with older devices.

I think with something like an alarm panel, it would be easier just implementing a secure webserver and decent API in the Ethernet device. At least that way, as a manufacturer, you have more control over things.

They will get banned from Apple next lol

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, norman said:

I'm Glaswegian and it's never stopped you before.

"city of culture" strange accent, endless council estates, social deprivation, drug addicted prostitutes, bare foot illiterate children playing in the street,

however unlike home, Glasgow does have a motorway.... so I can't really slag it off ?

Mr? Veritas God

Just now, MrHappy said:

"city of culture" strange accent, endless council estates, social deprivation, drug addicted prostitutes, bare foot illiterate children playing in the street,

however unlike home, Glasgow... 

Oh, I thought you were describing Barnsley. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

2 minutes ago, norman said:

Oh, I thought you were describing Barnsley. 

I might have posted it already, when there was mass riots in belarus the other week, I couldn't helping thinking how much nicer it looked than most of the UK ? 

Mr? Veritas God

27 minutes ago, Herman du Rieu said:

It is not only UK it is also in the Netherlands on IOS14 and Android 10

What is the solution to stop it because it is a App server problem

Herman

At this point all you can do is temporarily disable notifications for the app. Uninstalling/reinstalling doesn’t fix the issue and stops the notifications working completely.  The GX Remote Control app hasn’t seen an update for about 2 years so I wouldn’t hold my breath. Honeywell tech support is woeful - they’ll just blame the app dev as they did a few months when the receiving server IP was changed without notification.

As Galaxy Guy had said - for a minimal fee Smart Mon is a better way forward and also includes polling support I believe.

3 hours ago, Herman du Rieu said:

It is not only UK it is also in the Netherlands on IOS14 and Android 10

What is the solution to stop it because it is a App server problem

Herman

Switch to selfmon it's cheap and also it gives you support , you need to pay for service 

8 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Switch to selfmon it's cheap and also it gives you support , you need to pay for service 

Agreed very few free things work well all the time. Its a security system at the end of the day. If signalling is important 'dont' use an app

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I'm fully aware that an app alone is not ideal for security - I've been in the trade since the late 80's.  The app is merely a convenience and along with the rest of my security I'm well covered - I'm not expecting Oceans 11 to attempt a heist at my 3 bedroom semi!

I've tried SelfMon now and while the connection speed, path checking, event filters, SMS and e mail notifications are a big improvement over the Honeywell offering, it's lacking in a couple of areas, which is a shame:

- No notifications to Apple Watch unlike the Honeywell app. Easy to miss a phone notification and the buzz on your wrist is never missed.  No idea why it won't work on the watch as the Honeywell app is ancient and works.

- The event notification is so long it doesn't fit in the banner and is truncated meaning you need to click on every notification to get the basic details(who disarmed the system, zone number and description of intrusion event etc).  The Honeywell app would just give "13:42 Unset - Steve" rather than "MSG#24 Home 13:42:00 event = Close area. The system partially armed....." before needing to click on that notification to get the rest of the info in a separate window (which is only possible if you set notification banners to persistent)

2 hours ago, JB1970 said:

I'm fully aware that an app alone is not ideal for security - I've been in the trade since the late 80's.  The app is merely a convenience and along with the rest of my security I'm well covered - I'm not expecting Oceans 11 to attempt a heist at my 3 bedroom semi!

I've tried SelfMon now and while the connection speed, path checking, event filters, SMS and e mail notifications are a big improvement over the Honeywell offering, it's lacking in a couple of areas, which is a shame:

- No notifications to Apple Watch unlike the Honeywell app. Easy to miss a phone notification and the buzz on your wrist is never missed.  No idea why it won't work on the watch as the Honeywell app is ancient and works.

- The event notification is so long it doesn't fit in the banner and is truncated meaning you need to click on every notification to get the basic details(who disarmed the system, zone number and description of intrusion event etc).  The Honeywell app would just give "13:42 Unset - Steve" rather than "MSG#24 Home 13:42:00 event = Close area. The system partially armed....." before needing to click on that notification to get the rest of the info in a separate window (which is only possible if you set notification banners to persistent)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure why the notifications aren't being forwarded to the watch. I test on the emulator, as I don't have an apple watch to test with. I'll see if I can pick up a watch to test with.  It may make sense to reorder the push notifications, as the sequence information is less important.

3 hours ago, JB1970 said:

I've a Huawai watch & proper monitoring...

• Upvote 2

Mr? Veritas God