Security Installer Community

Upgrade Alarm System Recommendations

Macca80

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice regarding upgrading my current Honeywell alarm system. The current system is wired with 4 pir sensors and two door contacts. I would ideally like a system which has app / mobile phone control / alerts. 

I have previously installed a couple of wireless DIY systems but would like to keep a wired system. However if there is a highly rated wireless system I'd consider that. I have read good things about the Enforcer v10 but the yearly cloud charge has put me off. 

Can anyone recommend a good system which may be suitable? I am happy to get a professional fitter if needed. 

If your looking at getting a pro in then don't shop for products, they will fit what their engineers are trained on and most systems have this option as an extra.

Wired systems can have the same remote capabilities as wireless and if your wiring is fine I would personally keep it.

App and phone control has it's limitations, it may seem great because everything else has that now but really you have to think about what it really offers. I'm not a fan myself.

A proper "monitored" system would have a subscription with the installer but you would have some assurance you'll get the messages "alerts" you need. That wouldn't be the case with just an app alone.

29 minutes ago, Macca80 said:

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice regarding upgrading my current Honeywell alarm system. The current system is wired with 4 pir sensors and two door contacts. I would ideally like a system which has app / mobile phone control / alerts. 

I have previously installed a couple of wireless DIY systems but would like to keep a wired system. However if there is a highly rated wireless system I'd consider that. I have read good things about the Enforcer v10 but the yearly cloud charge has put me off. 

Can anyone recommend a good system which may be suitable? I am happy to get a professional fitter if needed. 

Should the app control be free?  There are some that do that , but free does mean it doesn't always do what you want it to do .....

I wouldnt trust any co that gives away free cloud monitoring, if theyre getting nothing for something, they are less in a hurry to fix it when it goes wrong. Which probably explains why most of the free ones that were frequently going down now charge, and go down less frequently.

If I am looking to upgrade my wired system is there a system which is seen as the best currently? The monitoring isn't essential. I've just had a couple of random activations with my current system which have I have had professionally checked but with no fault identified. I just want something reliable. 

Best is difficult to say, ie what the best car? 

Best in my mind will be different to other members here. Also some gear is only available to trained installers etc.

Also i would recommend using a paid for app so you have some guarantee on performance. No-one can support an app for free with decent support. Most products that have a free app outside of security are not mission critical.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Even paid apps have no guarantee of messages if it's not a polled path you can't make sure the message will be received. Doesn't take much for your internet to go down.

There are always steps to take if you have false activations, you may not find anything but that doesn't mean you can't do anything as an engineer.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Best is difficult to say, ie what the best car? 

Best in my mind will be different to other members here.

Yeah nobody like Audi's 

Stuart would say Scanny is his fav

Others are Texe fans 

Others Like Pyronix 

Personally I prefer Gin  

1 hour ago, Macca80 said:

If I am looking to upgrade my wired system is there a system which is seen as the best currently? The monitoring isn't essential. I've just had a couple of random activations with my current system which have I have had professionally checked but with no fault identified. I just want something reliable. 

You planning to use the existing wiring then?

Professionally normally means investigate, which costs , get another engineer ?

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Even paid apps have no guarantee of messages if it's not a polled path you can't make sure the message will be received. Doesn't take much for your internet to go down.

There are always steps to take if you have false activations, you may not find anything but that doesn't mean you can't do anything as an engineer.

agreed

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.