Security Installer Community

Alarm Maintenance Contract near Milton Keynes?

Bhavesh

5 minutes ago, Bhavesh said:

Hi All

I have a Nest Alarm installed by myself but my insurance company wants a yearly maintenance contract to go with it. Does anybody know if I can get maintenance only contract for such an alarm?

Thank you.

Nah very unlikely

Out of curiosity why do they want it , did you ask for it? They ask for it? 

Or is it you said you have an alarm they gave you a discount and said doing forget to send us the certificate?

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies.

23 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Nah very unlikely

Out of curiosity why do they want it , did you ask for it? They ask for it? 

Or is it you said you have an alarm they gave you a discount and said doing forget to send us the certificate?

I had a burglary last year. Unfortunately, my system wasn't working (this is the old system, not Nest). Insurance company now has a clause in my policy that I have to have an alarm maintenance contract. 

The reason for that is because the alarm company carries the liability of the system not performing. Noone is going to do that on diy gear that can't be controlled. 

The alarm Co own insurance would be invalid if they did

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Just now, Bhavesh said:

I see. I am happy to get alarm installed professionally. But I still have to pay additional £100+vat for servicing the alarm annually. Not everyone has an alarm. Not everyone has a maintenance contract. Why me?

Try different insurer

Many don't realise they need a maintenance contract etc , as insurer only asks for it when they make a claim

1 hour ago, Bhavesh said:

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies.

I had a burglary last year. Unfortunately, my system wasn't working (this is the old system, not Nest). Insurance company now has a clause in my policy that I have to have an alarm maintenance contract. 

Your insurance company is looking for some assurance that your alarm will do its job in the event of another burglary, and if it doesn t that they have some recourse, ie the alarm companies efficacy insurance.

So when they ask for alarm maintenance contract what they mean is they expect you to have a real alarm system, not something that came from Amazon and might alert you if you have another burglary. The Nest system is not compliant to any of the required british standards, its not graded. Even if you found some back street electrician that would offer a service contract, its unlikely that your insurer would pay out in the event of another successful burglary.