Jump to content
Security Installer Community

Recommended Posts

Hello

I help look after an alarm system in a community hall. This has a euro meridian system with a dialler module which sends a text to a couple of nominated numbers if the alarm is triggered. The alarm dials out to what I understand is a message centre. The problem is that we have recently changed our telecoms supplier and I am now seeing a 'Data Comms Error' which suggests that the alarm is unable to contact the messaging centre.

I attempted to call this number from my home phone which give a number unobtainable tone. However if I call the access number from my mobile the phone answers and I hear a 'carrier'. It would seem that the access number has been blocked by my telecomms supplier.

Does it seem likely that the number is blocked somehow on our landline? Why would this be? How would I go about having it unblocked?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harold1066 said:

Hello

I help look after an alarm system in a community hall. This has a euro meridian system with a dialler module which sends a text to a couple of nominated numbers if the alarm is triggered. The alarm dials out to what I understand is a message centre. The problem is that we have recently changed our telecoms supplier and I am now seeing a 'Data Comms Error' which suggests that the alarm is unable to contact the messaging centre.

I attempted to call this number from my home phone which give a number unobtainable tone. However if I call the access number from my mobile the phone answers and I hear a 'carrier'. It would seem that the access number has been blocked by my telecomms supplier.

Does it seem likely that the number is blocked somehow on our landline? Why would this be? How would I go about having it unblocked?

 

What's the number your dialing to , who is the old and new supplier 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

 

What's the number your dialing to , who is the old and new supplier 

 

PTSN is dead

 

If you don't have a one.... find a proper alarm co. who will maintain & monitor the alarm via  single path stand alone device

 

However if your looking for a new provider a euro meridian  could or cira 18 yrs old, some might refuse to support it

Edited by MrHappy

Mr😀 Veritas God

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

 

PTSN is dead

 

If you don't have a one.... find a proper alarm co. who will maintain & monitor the alarm via  single path stand alone device

 

However if your looking for a new provider a euro meridian  could or cira 18 yrs old, some might refuse to support it

Probably why he's doing it to look after it

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

 

What's the number your dialing to , who is the old and new supplier 

Hi al-yeti. Number called by the Alarm is 07785499993. Old supplier Global 4 - new supplier BT - Worked OK up to switchover. I would have thought it unlikely that the number was disabled on the same day that we switched - especially since I can still ring it and get an answer from my mobile. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Harold1066 said:

Hi al-yeti. Number called by the Alarm is 07785499993. Old supplier Global 4 - new supplier BT - Worked OK up to switchover. I would have thought it unlikely that the number was disabled on the same day that we switched - especially since I can still ring it and get an answer from my mobile. Thanks

I had one like this , it went lunatic on me , messages stuck in the syst , it kept ringing phone back for days saying undeliverable lol

Edited by al-yeti
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Harold1066 said:

especially since I can still ring it and get an answer from my mobile. Thanks

 

When my phone system is broken you still get a ring on the callers line....

 

Your alarm calls a SMS Gateway, it may turn many turns w/o succesess & be quite pricey on billing

the provider of the SMS gateway gets no income, there are a legacy service & many networks turned there's off years ago...

 

Its comparable to a carrier pigeon, the day you really need it to work it gets eaten by next doors cat

 

PTSN is dead, all the copper in the ground is getting moved to fibre & the network is going VOIP, which mean modems in burglar alarm & faxes (remember them ?) won't work as the timing & tones is really critical to signalling

 

You need to signal via IP or a SIM card, better stuff uses both.  

Mr😀 Veritas God

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harold1066 said:

Odd that it was working in March 2020 then.

Maybe on and off 

 

But even odder that , it's the last time you got any signalling is 5months ago 

 

Upgrade , your wasting your time or use open tap it will cost just as much but should work , look it up on Google 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if they decided in the end to not pull the plug on it, it was due to be switched off we discussed it here. It has not been reliable for around a decade it was the only "free" service left so always busy.

Just think how many thousands of devices still have that number programmed into it trying to send messages, it wasn't just alarms, pagers and server software could use it.

It's really not worth messing with, newer systems will send messages via IP or you could pay a premium for a number to support your legacy stuff, for now. That's if you want a chance to get the message.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Maybe on and off 

 

But even odder that , it's the last time you got any signalling is 5months ago 

 

Upgrade , your wasting your time or use open tap it will cost just as much but should work , look it up on Google 

Thanks Al-yeti

 

It worked fairly reliably - it just stopped working when we changed telephone supplier - but maybe it was switched off at the same time as our switch. I think as an interim we would use an open tap system - my google search didn't come up with anything other thab a brewery! What does TAP stand for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harold1066 said:

Thanks Al-yeti

 

It worked fairly reliably - it just stopped working when we changed telephone supplier - but maybe it was switched off at the same time as our switch. I think as an interim we would use an open tap system - my google search didn't come up with anything other thab a brewery! What does TAP stand for?

https://www.tapgateway.co.uk/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.