Security Installer Community

Accenta 8 Keypad Problems

Guest Foghorn

Guest Foghorn

My wife blew up the kettle last week and the ring fuse tripped out. When it was put back the alarm system has gone faulty. :realmad:

The strobe would not turn off and the keypad is DEAD - apart from the green LED backlights to the keypad buttons! However the RED power light is not showing nor are the other red lights (day, tamper attack zones etc) AND the keypad wont operate.

The main alarm box shows that there is a healthy mains supply and the wiring to the box and keypad appear ok. I have checked the internal fuses in the main box (all okay) and tried a new back up battery but still I cant get the mains light to show on the keypad or get the panel to work.

What I cant understand is that if the panel backlight is working indicating a power supply why do I not get the power light?

Does anyone know what the problem is to get it working again. Any help appreciated.

Doesn't sound too good.

Accenta's & Optima's are prone to power related problems, we've changed out a few recently, especially if they have not been maintained on a regular basis, batteries not changed etc, as the charging circuits tend to get spanked.

You could try a full down power & re power (if your competent) as taking off the cover exposes you to the mains inside or if you have the instructions, a cold start / system default, but would need to completey re-programme it.

Have you checked out the fuses inside the panel? (oop's yes you have)

Best thing in my opinion is to post your location (town / city) and there is probably someone on the forum nearby who can help you.

If it can be saved, best to have a regular service carried out annually by a reputable firm.

Good luck

Chris

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Guest Foghorn

Add8

Many thanks. The system was last serviced approx 2 years ago. Sice posting I have checked to DC power to the keypad and I'm getting around 13v which I think is normal (?) so as there are only 4 wires coming into the keypad and 2 are for the power it sounds like the pcb is knackered? :no:

Hopw do I do the full power down etc? I don't have the engineers instructions - inherited system!

Thanks

If you remove the mains and battery, the external siren will sound at this point, then leave it for a short while. Reconnect the battery and it *should* all come back to life as normal with the all the bells activated. Enter your code to silence, then reconnect the mains. and re-assemble.

If that doesn't do anything then it sounds like a damaged keypad and\or end station.

I think it would be worth having it serviced soon whatever the outcome.

Guest Peter James

It sounds like the battery was u/s when your power tripped.

A complete down power is a quick fix but if your battery is faulty it will need replacing, but before it is the charging circuit needs to be checked, as a dodgy battery will damage the charging circuit.

Pete

Yep as stated above - full power down and power back up after say ten seconds or so.

Keypads dont tend to pack up on the accenta's but the main pcb boards do "lock up" after a power problem of that kind - but doing the above should reset it - as already asked where abouts are you?????

Guest Foghorn

Thanks for the info guys - I will try it tomorrow. Think I'll have to turn the ring circuit off to power off the system as I can't see any way from inside the box.

I have bought a replacement battery thinking that may have fixed it but the old one was reading ~7V on the multimeter - about two years old.

BTW I'm in South Manchester.

Well done Foghorn, that's what this forum is all about :)

Also, look up someone like Brian C on this forum, that battery is shot mate & will eventually cause damage to the charging circuits, possible leak etc etc.

Have a proper service done, it will be worth the money.

Regards Chris

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Archived