Security Installer Community

Visonic PowermaxComplete battery depleting fast in outdoor siren

Jackswan

Had a Visonic Powermax Complete alarm system fitted back in 2014. This came with the MCS-740 wireless siren, but finding that the battery only lasts a maximum of 12 months and it is becoming expensive to replace every year.
Wondering if it is the distance of the alarm panel from the siren or whether it is the 20 inch walls between the two that is causing the quick depletion of the battery?
Thinking whether it would be worthwhile to go for a mains powered siren that would be compatible with the Powermax? I understand that there is a Visonic expander module that clips into the main alarm box for the cost of about £18, but what siren is compatible with it?

Pictured are the new batteries ready to be fitted

78F7C089-8F0F-46D7-A0B6-B0885556E3E0.jpeg

Some of the earlier model bells did this type of thing before they failed completely, not seen that with the 740.

I only know of the mains or wirefree bell options never seen a 12v option, the expander would allow for most SCB option wired bells but you would need alarm cable.

The system is obsolete and only one way, I would say it's not worth spending on it and to upgrade.

Edited by sixwheeledbeast
typo

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

Its one way wireless so its nothing to do with distance, or waht it has to travel through. You can add a 12vdc PSU to these bells that would stop the battery going flat 

Thanks, could you give me an example of a 12v PSU that would be suitable?

44 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Some of the earlier model bells did this type of thing before they failed completely, not seen that with the 740.

I only know of the mains or wirefree bell options never seen a 12v option, the expander would allow for most SCB option wired bells but you would need alarm cable.

The system is obsolete and only one way, I would say it's not worth spending on it and to upgrade.

The last thing I wanted to do was upgrade seeing as it is only 6 years old. Out of curiosity how much would a similar one cost now?

3 minutes ago, Jackswan said:

The last thing I wanted to do was upgrade seeing as it is only 6 years old. Out of curiosity how much would a similar one cost now?

You could buy newer panel bell etc but with visonic you genert in same situation , batteries don't last long 

If every 12months the price of battery is to much Rip it out as value of what your protecting might not be much

Even if it's only 6 years old that's what happens with the lower end wireless market. When it's discontinued you can't get parts or support and they slowly fail.

With all wireless you are trapped to the manufacturer you choose, that's part of the trade off with having no wires.

You may be able to keep it going but it all depends on how much you rely on it.

You've not done too bad at 6 years for a Powermax, I have pulled them out with less age on them due to failures.