Security Installer Community

Burying alarm cable and proximity to mains cable

Hello

i am burying a PIR cable along the top of the wall, but there are cables from the light switch, will it be ok to run these close ?dont have any option really, but wonder if it could cause false alarms, there won’t be any power flowing at night or when out...but will obviously be live.

thanks

FFDA7CED-C53A-44C0-A0F8-C12EB611BEAC.jpeg

If your going by the regs:-

50mm separation between all ELV and LV cabling. "Additional insulation should be provided" if they need to cross over each other, preferably perpendicular to minimise any interference.

Seems a fair bit of mess for one alarm cable? Would have looked at going upwards or if really required a thin chase into the cove, disappears with cork.

2 hours ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

Hello

i am burying a PIR cable along the top of the wall, but there are cables from the light switch, will it be ok to run these close ?dont have any option really, but wonder if it could cause false alarms, there won’t be any power flowing at night or when out...but will obviously be live.

thanks

FFDA7CED-C53A-44C0-A0F8-C12EB611BEAC.jpeg

As said above , what's above ? Carpet?

Cables look so close to the surface doesn't look as if you will get.much filler on top either 

Other option break more plaster below and go behind them a little , is it an outside wall ? Or internal , old internal breeze block? 

Although messing with the coving is an option you get it wrong it will be messy and always noticeable

45 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

He will strip them back to the indivual cores first silly

Ah so you mean strip of jacket of cable 

Flatten cores out and use Wickes 60min silicon to form into a ribbon cable spot 

Nsí tricks are so cool .....

Not possible I am afraid, the alarm cable ,is 6 core Think only two,used for the PIR and it is the highest quality I could get so screening should be good.......suppose it’s fingers crossed than ?

1 hour ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

Not possible I am afraid, the alarm cable ,is 6 core Think only two,used for the PIR and it is the highest quality I could get so screening should be good.......suppose it’s fingers crossed than ?

would it not been easier to make a few BFO holes in the coving shove the wire to the next BFO in the coving, rather than butcher the wall ?

1/2 a bag should sort your work-

hc03107t-extra-large.jpg

but I understand its still hard to get hold of?

Mr? Veritas God

The coving isn’t continuous, that’s the first idea I had, the installer used gripfill at intervals to stick it, so can’t do that.....a neat chisel along the wall should suffice, just hoped that interference wouldn’t be a problem ?

12 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

would it not been easier to make a few BFO holes in the coving shove the wire to the next BFO in the coving, rather than butcher the wall ?

1/2 a bag should sort your work-

hc03107t-extra-large.jpg

but I understand its still hard to get hold of?

Half a bag/? Lol that will do the whole wall 

Don’t think I am being ungrateful, but I had already cut the channel for the cable, having decided this was the best route, all I really wanted to know was the likelihood of mains interference causing spurious alarms, as the alarm cable is shielded.  Wasn’t really looking for different ways to route the cable......thanks

30 minutes ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

but I had already cut the channel for the cable, having decided this was the best route,

looking at your work.... I would recommend a wire free alarm on your next job.

30 minutes ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

the likelihood of mains interference causing spurious alarms

I assume very low, 

Mr? Veritas God