Security Installer Community

First Certification FIA or?

Hi all,
After looking at some job ads, seems that without experience, they don't even look my way to take me on board. So my thinking is to decorate my CV with fire and security-related certifications.
Now is a little bit confusing about where to start? I need help to answer some questions. I need your thoughts on:
    1. I'm right that fire-related certifications would be more weighty, instead of electronic security courses?
    2. If [1] is [yes] then where to go FIA or NSI or somewhere else?
    3. How courses from FIA (BS 5839-1 Fundamentals in FD&A Unit 1 / Unit 2) and NSI (Introduction to BS 5839-1:2017 and Basic Fire Detection & Alarm System Design Awareness) are different and which one is right for me?
    4. Would be BS 5839-1 Fundamentals in FD&A a good choice? I would like to skip very fundamentals courses as they usually bit boring.
    5. FIA training is EXPENSIVE! NSI not listing prices, or I don't understand something? Who knows how NSI pricing it? Where else would be good to look at to have industry known certificates with maybe more friendly prices?
    6. FIA courses are reasonably cheaper if you got a membership with them. I'm bit lost with membership pricing too. Which one lowest price membership would be enough to receive a discount on courses?  https://www.fia.uk.com/membership/membership-fees.html

I have got much more questions, but let's start here. (Maybe I will update the list later on if it's possible to edit the main post after the topic posted?)
Thanks in advance for the time you spend for me.

P.s. I've seen other topics here related to certifications related to Asbestos Awareness, PASMA, CSCS, ECS etc. but let's not talk about those.

1 minute ago, MrHappy said:

its unlikely any coarses will take place due to covid ?

are you an adult ?

Let's not talk about covid. Let's be on topic.  And I think courses running already, also, my preference would be online.

Adult, yes.  Do I sound like I'm not? ? I'm  nearly 40 years old professional with varios sills and knowledge, just when changing job title is not easy to prove to hiring manager that I can show my abilities in Fire & Security field as well.

19 minutes ago, Cieska said:

Let's not talk about covid

there's gonna be very little face to face training, all the fire modules are gonna be class room based

19 minutes ago, Cieska said:

Adult, yes.  Do I sound like I'm not? ? 

TSI regular posters are embittered trade professionals & school kids fishing alarms out of skips

If you want to work in the industry, apply for job somewhere

diy skills & basic electronic & electrical will

paper qualifications are great to have, but not the same as practical knowledge

Mr? Veritas God

2 hours ago, Cieska said:

Let's not talk about covid. Let's be on topic.  And I think courses running already, also, my preference would be online.

Adult, yes.  Do I sound like I'm not? ? I'm  nearly 40 years old professional with varios sills and knowledge, just when changing job title is not easy to prove to hiring manager that I can show my abilities in Fire & Security field as well.

40? Starting way to late , you might aswell give up now......

10 hours ago, Cieska said:

just when changing job title is not easy to prove to hiring manager that I can show my abilities in Fire & Security field as well.

Are you going for a career change or are you already working in this industry?

9 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Are you going for a career change or are you already working in this industry?

3 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Career change, correct.

I did some wiring and simple point termination, when working at some electrical companies. I have no problems with electronics. Electronics is my passion / hobby since my 13een's. I can't state that I security engineer whrlen applying for the job as I will fail, but I need a month and I could do most of the tasks on my own. But how to explain to hiring person when you apply to agency?

Most of the works listed are through the agencies.

1 minute ago, Cieska said:

Career change, correct.

I did some wiring and simple point termination, when working at some electrical companies. I have no problems with electronics. Electronics is my passion / hobby since my 13een's. I can't state that I security engineer whrlen applying for the job as I will fail, but I need a month and I could do most of the tasks on my own. But how to explain to hiring person when you apply to agency?

Most of the works listed are through the agencies.

Tricky one, at your age I think that you will find it hard, nobody in this industry seem to be interested in investing in training people, most of the adverts I see on the FB forums are for engineers with three years experience or more. None of them are interested in taking on apprentices, let alone a mature apprentice. The wages for trainees is circa £18K, some much less some a bit more, most mature trainees couldn't survive on the wage. No certificate will help you either, without experience you are an expensive asset, the cert shows you know and understand the rules, but experience shows you know all the things you cant learn in a classroom like the product for example. 

2 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Tricky one, at your age I think that you will find it hard, nobody in this industry seem to be interested in investing in training people, most of the adverts I see on the FB forums are for engineers with three years experience or more. None of them are interested in taking on apprentices, let alone a mature apprentice. The wages for trainees is circa £18K, some much less some a bit more, most mature trainees couldn't survive on the wage. No certificate will help you either, without experience you are an expensive asset, the cert shows you know and understand the rules, but experience shows you know all the things you cant learn in a classroom like the product for example. 

So he needs to buy all the panels like texe, pyronix enforcer , dimension , self train and prove he can do it 

11 hours ago, Cieska said:

Dude you need to get a job on first fix , it's not easy I tell ya, then you might get your foot in the door somewhere and self train at home on the panels they use and so on 

Where ever you apply you will need to see what they install , and learn that panel, if I interviewed you and you had no experience , I probably ask you to prove you can programme the panel atleast in basic to see if you talking blag or not 

49 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

So he needs to buy all the panels like texe, pyronix enforcer , dimension , self train and prove he can do it 

That's great so what about all the strange and wonderful things that we all know happen but are not in any of the engineers manuals?  What about working out how to get a cable from A 2 B aesthetically invisible. There are so many things that I instantly know what the fault is just by the description of the symptoms that any novice would take a week to work out, which is all down to experience. In order to make enough money to survive in this industry you have to find and fix faults quickly and first time, because customers wont pay for you to keep changing stuff until you get it right, which means your boss is paying.

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

That's great so what about all the strange and wonderful things that we all know happen but are not in any of the engineers manuals?  What about working out how to get a cable from A 2 B aesthetically invisible. There are so many things that I instantly know what the fault is just by the description of the symptoms that any novice would take a week to work out, which is all down to experience. In order to make enough money to survive in this industry you have to find and fix faults quickly and first time, because customers wont pay for you to keep changing stuff until you get it right, which means your boss is paying.

Blag it with a national?

I would love to have a pint with you all and have a laugh about how im maybe late in my life thinking about the change. But here I did wrote completely bout different. I think most of you just failing to be on-topic.  I have spotted just from day one that in this forum you love to chat for the sake of chatting. So far I have only one reply to my topic which was in private message.

Is maybe here anyone wants to change me? I can come to do a week or a couple of weeks for a minimum £/day. So you will have a good couple of hand to help you with little £. Or even for free if you give me value to advance myself in programming, commissioning and fault finding. And I can guarantee/proof that im not a beginner in technology, simply I need a bit real-life scenarios to work on. So I can do home works for the next day to be on the same page. I'm in the London area, so drop me a message. Otherwise let's come back to the topic. Cheers.  

2 hours ago, Cieska said:

I would love to have a pint with you all and have a laugh about how im maybe late in my life thinking about the change. But here I did wrote completely bout different. I think most of you just failing to be on-topic.  I have spotted just from day one that in this forum you love to chat for the sake of chatting. So far I have only one reply to my topic which was in private message.

Is maybe here anyone wants to change me? I can come to do a week or a couple of weeks for a minimum £/day. So you will have a good couple of hand to help you with little £. Or even for free if you give me value to advance myself in programming, commissioning and fault finding. And I can guarantee/proof that im not a beginner in technology, simply I need a bit real-life scenarios to work on. So I can do home works for the next day to be on the same page. I'm in the London area, so drop me a message. Otherwise let's come back to the topic. Cheers.  

In that case go get a job doing 1st fix 

Or manicure 

Im not sure that we went off topic? You ask us stuff we ask why, just so that we can find out the best way to reply, we like to know full facts in order to give the best advice. If you asked whats the best detector for my lounge we would ask lots of questions about your lounge