Security Installer Community

Enabling Broadband on ADT monitored line

amateurandy

Hello folks, I hope I've put this in the right place. And yes, I have searched around for an answer to this, but it's not totally clear. ;)

Friends of mine have an //.National Installer.// alarm on their house. For reasons I'm not familiar with they say they are "not best friends" with //.National Installer.// at present and so don't necessarily believe everything they're being told. :realmad:

They have dial-up internet access via modem using the BT line, but want to install Broadband. They understand there will be costs for both Broadband and configuring the alarm and will happily pay what is right and reasonable. :)

They have been told (by //.National Installer.// I think) that they must have another phone line installed; I'm quite sure this is not true. :o

My understanding is that technically it needs coordination between BT and //.National Installer.// to sort out the installation, line filtering and line seizing and no doubt some other stuff I'm not aware of.

Is there someone who can spell it out clearly, ideally so that I can pass to my friends:

1. What needs to be done, in what order

2. How they get it done, i.e who do they tell to do what

Many thanks,

Andrew

As far as I am aware, it is recommended to have a dedicated alarm line but not cumpulsory. I'm also pretty sure that, if DSL is enabled on the line, as long as every device goes through a DSL Filter before connecting to the line, everything should work ok.

//.National Installer.// should be able to install a filter in the control panel, or alternatively, (I think this should be ok) you could fit a filtered socket to the point that the panel takes it's telephone feed from and just connect the panel feed back to the filtered side.

If you don't know......ask.

Apparently the installation (which is a Galaxy 16 by the way) was a local company that was taken over by //.National Installer.//. My friends have now been told by //.National Installer.// that if Broadband is installed they "can't provide support" whatever that means! :no:

Given the widespread use of Broadband surely //.National Installer.// have a standard solution to this? Anyone out there from //.National Installer.//-land (or elsewhere) care to comment or explain what //.National Installer.//'s issue might be? :wacko:

As for the precise wiring layout, I've no idea, but it must be possible to put filters in the right places. I presume the phone line comes in underground and I know the Galaxy is in the loft.

Thanks in advance........

Guest Peter James

Hi Andy

A filter will do it in most circumstances, is your friend on Red Care? (though if this was the case bt will usually say you cant have adsl on this line not the other way round)

If //.National Installer.// are insistant then post their location and let one of us guys have a go.

Pete

I seem to remember hearing something about this a while back. Theoretically, any device that is connected to the telephone line at the present time should work satisfactorily after ADSL has been activated on the line. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case and some devices can have problems. I think this, coupled with badly set up lines on the premises and the lack of telecoms skills on the part of some engineers led them to the decision that ADSL causes the line to stop working.

There isn't actually any reason for //.National Installer.// to be involved as the only alterations that are needed are to the incoming line and not to any alarm equipment.

Broadband, ADSL will work with ALL alarm signalling technologies even Redcare.

Digi / DualCom - Install a filter

Redcare - Just connect as normal the frequenices boardband and redcare work at are different.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

just phone //.National Installer.// tell em you have broadband and they will send someone out to fit a filter easy as that...you could fit one yourself but say the alarm didnt send its signal after a break in you aint got a leg to stand on,this way any failures will be covered and compensated by //.National Installer.//..

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll advise my friends to be a bit more pushy with //.National Installer.// and not take no for an answer. :rolleyes:

And, if there is anyone there who's prepared to comment (unofficially) on //.National Installer.//'s or any other monitoring organisations position re Broadband I'd be interested to read their views. :D

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll advise my friends to be a bit more pushy with //.National Installer.// and not take no for an answer. 

33017[/snapback]

Andrew //.National Installer.// should not be allowed to ignore their responsabilaty to their customer. Your friend should have this resolved or raise a customer complaint. If the situation is still not resolved (with a reasonable charge) i would say that he has reasonable grounds to terminate his contract and look for another installer who can provide the reasonable service he has requested.

Jef

Customers!

And, if there is anyone there who's prepared to comment (unofficially) on //.National Installer.//'s or any other monitoring organisations position re Broadband I'd be interested to read their views. :D

33017[/snapback]

As far as I know, //.National Installer.// have never refused to fit broadband filters.

Archived