Security Installer Community

Day as a commissioning engineer

8 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

You should look into Tavcom like we have mentioned in other threads you posted in.

You have an upvote for this. Well done thanks, I need to look through it. Seems that I have missed this somehow previously.

• Downvote 1

On 18/09/2020 at 10:36, Cieska said:

I know many of you will say that is too many questions to even bother answer them but they actually really simple for security wolfs like you instead replay with irrelevant posts. I would be happy to go some kind of training delay online but I can not find any, than maybe a business plan for any of you ?
Ok great. Can I ask more in detail about:

Ceiska

I am going to add some answers to your post but I agree with others that there is really too much detail here.

Question - what is your motivation for seeking this information. Do you want to get into security, are you just curious or are you an aspiring burglar

Whatever the reason while I can see your are interested you need to get a job in the industry. This is a practical industry: you need to install this stuff for much of this information to mean anything. There are a myriad of options and alternatives and many different ways of achieving the same outcome all of which can be correct in some circumstances and incorrect (or not the best way) in other circumstances

You also need to undergo vetting to demonstrate that you are a fit and proper person to know about security systems.

I recommend:

A) get a copy of the EN50131 suite and BS8243. There are other standards but these will help

Don't ask me for these and perhaps don't ask this forum for them

Also look for guideline document from NSI, BSIA and ABI

B) self fund some proper training: Tavcom do excellent distance training (although I have not evaluated myself)

C) seek employment with an alarm/security company. The majors (ADT, Chubb etc) may have apprentice schemes

To your questions:

1)
Yes, you have to program (more configure) the panel. Although "intelligent" these panels don't program themselves. Although some may argue they are more clever than the engineer installing?
The configuration will be in accordance with the original design as varied (if necessary) during installation. If no original design then it will be to the installation plan that you would develop hour 1 of day 1 of arriving at site with a box of bits and some tools
2)
Yes, of course the results are documented - otherwise how can you prove you did it?
It's unlikely you will get copies of documents but as they are company specific but an internet search may find something
3) 
This depend who installed the system. If you installed it and are now commissioning it you will know what you did right and wrong. If you deliberately did something wrong then you should not be in this game.
If you are commissioning someone else's work then it is your job, your responsibility, your duty to thoroughly commission which means you diligrntly check everything that needs checking.
4)
You need to be vetted and be trained to discuss signalling. There are different types and the correct commissioning of each is critical. What you have indicated is largely correct however
5)
If you know how a meter works you will understand the type of readings to be taken. Actually you should be able to make up your own record sheet from this. As 2 above it is not likely you will get a copy of someone's meter reading record sheets as they are proprietary to each company
6)
Class and grades are in the standards above. This sets the autonomy of the system under mains fail conditions and with the load calculations (or measurements) and recharge currents will help calculate the battery size
7)
I suggest you find some installation instructions for sounders and panels, read them to see how a sounder is connected to a panel and this will answer these questions

?
More a communication system. Yes, generally it will connect to an ARC. STU is one device that can be used within the communications system
9)
Bell delay is normally to give the intervention response time to arrive and apprehend/detail before the intruder is warned the system has activated
10)
Part of the communication system to give an indication if the communication path is out of service.

To conclude:

Obtain the documents above and read them. This will give you more detail from which you could ask more targeted questions: however I would be wary of going into too much more detail than this given the vetting issue.

• Thanks 2

Another pint to you Andyha. And thanks for example to those who was bit crying here that 11 questions is too much to answer, but actually it's done with a line per question and this what I need.

Question - what is your motivation for seeking this information. Do you want to get into security, are you just curious or are you an aspiring burglar

I need to expand my general knowledge of this before I will be in similar role even if as trainee (and no one need to comment on this).

A) get a copy of the EN50131 suite and BS8243. There are other standards but these will help

Don't ask me for these and perhaps don't ask this forum for them

Also look for guideline document from NSI, BSIA and ABI

I have looked at this before, but i thought its bit pricey for individual, so I was maybe waiting until I get position in company that has it to read through, but probably I will need to get it in advance. Not quite sure what we are talking about 'guideline document from NSI, BSIA and ABI' ? maybe any one can direct me to it? instead I trying to dig a needle in hay stack.  I'll give a try any way.

B) on going.

C) on going.

1. I guess I was asking for design examples to see how this looks like that I could make a picture in my head of it. But otherwise I don't need to worry if there is design notes to complete setting it up.

4. OK, i will have this in my mind that something else I need to go through. Does this have exact name as a thing? Signaling... ?

On 20/09/2020 at 16:24, MrHappy said:

well I guess that's me on the naughty step -

If you want to be an alarm man get a job with an alarm company.

You not going to get any much experience buying tat from ebay, reading books or asking on an alarm themed forum 

Agreed, I know hundreds of people who work in this industry, including many many business owners, all of them started by working for someone as a trainee.

6 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Agreed, I know hundreds of people who work in this industry, including many many business owners, all of them started by working for someone as a trainee.

And some of us still blagging it ?