Security Installer Community

Day as a commissioning engineer

On 22/07/2020 at 11:10, PeterJames said:

Intruder would be program, walk test, and check that items are installed to the specification and properly. If monitored, set up monitoring and test with ARC. Meter readings would be each circuit resistance, quiescent current consumption, battery current, current consumption in alarm, and calculate that the battery is an adequate size. Do the same with any PSU's.  Check the bell voltage and that the holdoff is working (for longer than 10 seconds, in case the engineer has left the engineers link on the bell) charging current to the bell. If there is signalling equipment check its earthed, if it is separately housed, check any cabling between the CPU and the STU are mechanically protected, check the current readings as above. All meter readings should be done using a calibrated company multimeter.

Note bell delay time (if applicable)

Note Bell ring time

Note entry time & exit time

Number of Rearms

Linefault monitoring

Set the alarm fully and test entry exit is working as it should, set alarm fully and activate alarm system intruder and confirmed intruder, if there are panic buttons test them by pressing them while in day mode. Check with ARC that they recieved all signals in the order that they should have been sent.

Handover should note any changes to the specification, all paperwork such as user manual certificates, and it should say that the customer has been shown how to use the alarm system and has a master code or fob, and that thy know how to add new users.

I think I have covered everything for intruder.

CCTV is a bit different NSI expects us to use a rotakin 

Fire is quite a bit more involved 

bettererer

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Peter James and Andyha I would like for sure to buy a pint for you guys. I have to come back later to discus Andyha post, but for now Peter's post for in detail analysis.
I know many of you will say that is too many questions to even bother answer them but they actually really simple for security wolfs like you instead replay with irrelevant posts. I would be happy to go some kind of training delay online but I can not find any, than maybe a business plan for any of you ?
Ok great. Can I ask more in detail about:
- 1. Program the box - is it usually any requirements or plans given of how it must be set? Not how it's done but what exactly must be set specifically? Or usually it's just very standard and general settings and then more done by request? Or it must be given in any sort of paper work? And if - yes, how it looks like? Any examples I can see?
- 2. Walk test. Obvious. But all the results must be documented? Or it must just all tested and working? Any form of documents I can find to see?
- 3. Checking if items installed properly it's just visual test, with many items that you are not too lazy to check? Correct? ?
- 4. How the monitoring setup works? Signing for service, then according the documentation setting up, and calling to the service provider and what? You say - we want to commission the system? The. They say what? Ok for upcoming two hours we ignore any alarms and just sending report that we have received alarms or what? Would be interesting to hear all the story.
- 5. Meter readings - again, this must be filed in some sort of sheet. Would be interesting to see one. What to search for?
- 6. Calculate battery - for how many hours? This is depends of what? Class of security system or where to see those regulations?
- 7. Bell voltage? To meter the voltage on bell contacts? And what is hold off? Engineers link? Hmm seems that I need to come back for this for more in detail.
- 8. Signaling equipment? It's a thing what signals to ARC via circular/wired network? Correct? And that's what Do you call STU?
- 9. Bell delay time is usually for what reason?
- 10. What is a 'Rearm'?
- 11. Line fault monitoring? How to understand this?

Edited by Cieska

57 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

As you say there are so many questions here to answer in a single forum post.

Some can be answered in a simple form with a sentence or two but they are all things you would learn doing the job as an apprentice or from training over many weeks and months.

?Also, if you would't post your complains here, then this forum would be so cleaner to read and find it useful. But instead answering one from 11 simple questions to leave the post with 10 unasnverded you rather not. :)) and probably you will find time tome to reply to my this comment with not really relevant information to the topic, which again could be just better answer another questions and leave with 9 unanswered questions and you would be done about 18% of the all list. Otherwise my topic that I started is also very pointless, same as other people's replies to it.

I would suggest a new rule for this forum: that replaying to the topic with complaining about topic or other relevant info would be necessary to reply in private to the person you complain. This would make forum less ugly for future generations.

• Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Your preaching to people that have been here for a long time and had to moderate all that.

I really don't understand what are you trying to prove with your posts? I don't want to start this silly battle here but I will do for the sake maybe more chaps like you will get this message even my original post and my questions will be forbidden.

- I'm not preaching, I'm suggesting new rule for the better world we live in.

- As I said you did reply with your complains to my previous message instead of answering one of the 11 questions to leave 9 unanswered.

- You did your best to make this thread more ugly for everyone to read and spend time reading and not finding it interesting or helpful. In another word, another garbage topic in this forum.

- When you complaining about too many questions is have been asked in one place instead leave it unanswered you showing for others what example to follow to make this forum less pleasant.

- Moderating the forum is mostly deleting messages like yours that are not really related to the topic. So this is nothing about how long you have been in this forum (even if you are a moderator).

- And as I said before, you probably would make more good to me and everyone while posting this in private instead here on this topic.

I think it's enough now.

Edited by Cieska
  • Downvote 1

Lets get things straight I am not complaining or trying to prove anything, you can suggest what you like but there is only so far before moderation becomes censorship.

Be that ugly or not everyone will have a different opinion and it's a forum for discussion.

You'd be surprised how much effort goes into keeping posts on topic and trying to split things where required to keep the conversation cohesive.

Regarding the comment about questions, how does answering 11 not really related questions in one post help any search results.

I am willing to help with yours or any others questions like plently here but you can't train to be an engineer reading a forum, which is pretty much what you are asking.

You should look into Tavcom like we have mentioned in other threads you posted in. Anything specific gets better answers if you split it out into a few posts, it's also easier to find via the forums search function.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cieska said:

I really don't understand what are you trying to prove with your posts? I don't want to start this silly battle here but I will do for the sake maybe more chaps like you will get this message even my original post and my questions will be forbidden.

- I'm not preaching, I'm suggesting new rule for the better world we live in.

- As I said you did reply with your complains to my previous message instead of answering one of the 11 questions to leave 9 unanswered.

- You did your best to make this thread more ugly for everyone to read and spend time reading and not finding it interesting or helpful. In another word, another garbage topic in this forum.

- When you complaining about too many questions is have been asked in one place instead leave it unanswered you showing for others what example to follow to make this forum less pleasant.

- Moderating the forum is mostly deleting messages like yours that are not really related to the topic. So this is nothing about how long you have been in this forum (even if you are a moderator).

- And as I said before, you probably would make more good to me and everyone while posting this in private instead here on this topic.

I think it's enough now.

As above , go do a course and get some practical experience , you will go in circles otherwise 

• Upvote 1