Security Installer Community

Day as a commissioning engineer

Hi,

I know this is maybe just too obvious for old security wolfs but to taste the real meaning of a commissioning engineer, can you describe your day as a commissioning engineer? What exactly have you done, the tasks and how you explain the time you spend, please? Today or yesterday, or maybe you have more 'tasty' examples from the past? Please go deep in details or technical as you wish.

As not professional, I would like to see the colour palette and to feet the taste of it. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

1 hour ago, Cieska said:

Hi,

I know this is maybe just too obvious for old security wolfs but to taste the real meaning of a commissioning engineer, can you describe your day as a commissioning engineer? What exactly have you done, the tasks and how you explain the time you spend, please? Today or yesterday, or maybe you have more 'tasty' examples from the past? Please go deep in details or technical as you wish.

As not professional, I would like to see the colour palette and to feet the taste of it. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Commissioning?

Like second fix?

Lash panel to wall

Keypad

Bellbox

Detectors 

Programming 

Testing

All via lazy laptop where possible

Demo for customer , and go get some grub if they didn't give you any .....

Edited by al-yeti
Needed to make lash spelt right as android changed it to last
  • Upvote 1

On 19/07/2020 at 11:29, PeterJames said:

Commissioning is programming, testing, meter readings, paperwork, and handing over, but for smaller companies it sometimes means 2nd fix as well.

Thanks, Peter. This is exactly what I'm looking for, but also I'm in need of more details. Sure most of the things seems just obviuos from high overvew. I understand programing. But for example how is testing done, is there any seaquance sheets that I can find that I could folow?  This probably somehow relates to system certification? Also, meter readings probably relates to testing too? So if any one could describe tasks and maybe in details sequeance of the things on that day. That would make me think more.

Intruder would be program, walk test, and check that items are installed to the specification and properly. If monitored, set up monitoring and test with ARC. Meter readings would be each circuit resistance, quiescent current consumption, battery current, current consumption in alarm, and calculate that the battery is an adequate size. Do the same with any PSU's.  Check the bell voltage and that the holdoff is working (for longer than 10 seconds, in case the engineer has left the engineers link on the bell) charging current to the bell. If there is signalling equipment check its earthed, if it is separately housed, check any cabling between the CPU and the STU are mechanically protected, check the current readings as above. All meter readings should be done using a calibrated company multimeter.

Note bell delay time (if applicable)

Note Bell ring time

Note entry time & exit time

Number of Rearms

Linefault monitoring

Set the alarm fully and test entry exit is working as it should, set alarm fully and activate alarm system intruder and confirmed intruder, if there are panic buttons test them by pressing them while in day mode. Check with ARC that they recieved all signals in the order that they should have been sent.

Handover should note any changes to the specification, all paperwork such as user manual certificates, and it should say that the customer has been shown how to use the alarm system and has a master code or fob, and that thy know how to add new users.

I think I have covered everything for intruder.

CCTV is a bit different NSI expects us to use a rotakin 

Fire is quite a bit more involved 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Bit late to contribute but to add to this: I agree with what PeterJames has written. In addition in larger and integrated systems there is an additional step of "setting to work"

In high security environments commissioning include empty building full set and each detector is activated. This needs considerable planning and some engineering interventions to avoid multiple activations as the tester moves around the protected areas to activate detection, especially perimeter line detection. It also needs the special simulation detection for equipment like acoustic glass break detection. Often it is necessary to isolate devices on the travel path to allow false activation free movement from the outer edges of each protected area to the centre. Commissioning also includes simulations of mask and fault conditions for each and every detector. In very high security systems I have seen simulations of spoof techniques to confirm the detectors selected function correctly under such an action. Each detector is tested, including any sequential verification arrangements and including parameters and names/locational information.

Setting to work then comes in where each sub system of an integrated solution is interconnected and the cause and effect matrix configured and tested. This is often a full repeat of the commissioning of each sub system but with the cause and effect enabled. The sub systems should be fully tested first and only once they have passed the commissioning phase are they connected to the integration layer (or to each other). This means any problems with the integration are known not to be being inherited from the sub system in question.

Cause and effect is about things like calling cameras to presets and calling cameras to monitors, access control lockdowns etc, measuring response times between the source/cause event and the final effect event.

There's a lot of work to do it right and a lot of pre planning and client sign-off before it commences, often involving burning the candle at both ends

Hope that adds to your understanding 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1