Security Installer Community

Acorn Alarm Panel

Hi. I have an Acorn Control Panel installed in my garage block from 1986 which apart from changed rechargeable batteries is still going strong. I have replaced the external bell box with a new box and sounder but the bell time is addressed by resistors and links that you cut on the PCB in the panel. Has anyone got a copy of the installation instructions from one of these very old panels. It was originally a Shorrock installation.

Thanks

Chris

4 hours ago, Chris Covell said:

Hi. I have an Acorn Control Panel installed in my garage block from 1986 which apart from changed rechargeable batteries is still going strong. I have replaced the external bell box with a new box and sounder but the bell time is addressed by resistors and links that you cut on the PCB in the panel. Has anyone got a copy of the installation instructions from one of these very old panels. It was originally a Shorrock installation.

Thanks

Chris

Acorn might be installer

Upload picture of keypad

20 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Shorrock and Acorn. Hmm, makes me recall some really old 2 zone key switch thing?

Model 76 / 77

Those had links for bell delay etc 

The old da for code changing was the old wire links used to be interesting to

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Shorrock and Acorn. Hmm, makes me recall some really old 2 zone key switch thing?

Acorn makes me recall Acorn Antiques, there is a company Essex way (Clacton I think) called Acorn Alarms, the bloke doesn't believe in connecting bell tamper circuits up because they go off for no aparrent reason.

I dread to think what his installs are like 

3 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Horrible tan colour front 

Do remember having the instructions for them once

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

This is a picture of the panel - made by a company in Cornwall. Looked after, cared for and cleaned and working as the day it was put in... as it stands the bell output would sound continuously as the old sounder had a SAB or similar that timed out after 15 minutes.

There are a series of resistors and links that set the exit/entry time, the bell time and the auto reset... It isnt clear which to cut for the bell time, hence the original question.

IMG_0339.JPG

8 minutes ago, Chris Covell said:

This is a picture of the panel - made by a company in Cornwall. Looked after, cared for and cleaned and working as the day it was put in... as it stands the bell output would sound continuously as the old sounder had a SAB or similar that timed out after 15 minutes.

What tat have you purchased that does not have a cut off timer ?

• Upvote 2

Mr? Veritas God

7 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Hi Chris

Are you sure that Acorn is the brand? 

In any case, we cannot give out installation instructions here. only user ones 

Not even for this old thing?

12 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Not even for this old thing?

I dont make the rules..........well okay I do, but only some of them.........well okay this one in particular was one of mine..... but it is for good reason and all the mods agreed 

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

I dont make the rules..........well okay I do, but only some of them.........well okay this one in particular was one of mine..... but it is for good reason and all the mods agreed 

Yeah I get you 

But there needs adjustment to alarms from certain era lol

Surley a.single page showing bell links won't matter 

Ah forget it lol

Morning - some kind person has sent me a scanned document which is of the typed out installation and instructions which is just 2 sides of A4 showing the links to cut etc. The new bell box is  Deltabell plus, but my local supplier said that he thinks the deltabell, would stop after 15 mins anyway but should sort the links out the make sure the panel cuts off and resets.

The panel is simple and very reliable and built to last so not changing it! Man date was Feb 1985 according to its sticker inside ... not many 35 year old panels still going

9 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Yeah I get you 

But there needs adjustment to alarms from certain era lol

Surley a.single page showing bell links won't matter 

Ah forget it lol

Thanks for your thought here - alot of other panel install/user instructions  you can get as pdfs easily by searching the web, even the installation ones are fairly easy to get for Scantronic etc.

It's the bell that needs the cut off timer, it just became standard that all equipment would have the timer built in for reducing noise pollution.

Even if the panel continues to provide a bell trigger output the bell would ignore it until removed and reapplied. Unless there is some rearm function as part of this then I'd still say leave it alone myself.

It's part of our guidelines not to provide engineers manuals here, not only from a security perspective but copyright issues. What other sites distribute is up to them.

1 hour ago, Chris Covell said:

Morning - some kind person has sent me a scanned document which is of the typed out installation and instructions which is just 2 sides of A4 showing the links to cut etc.

as normal, you got better advice for free on here

The new bell box is  Deltabell plus, but my local supplier said that he thinks the deltabell, would stop after 15 mins anyway but should sort the links out the make sure the panel cuts off and resets.

than here where you spent £

The panel is simple and very reliable and built to last so not changing it! Man date was Feb 1985 according to its sticker inside ... not many 35 year old panels still going

There's loads of old crap out there, often the the alarm controls are decades older than everything else in the house.

You can do what you want with it but are unlikely to find many people willing to work with it.

Thanks for your thought here - alot of other panel install/user instructions  you can get as pdfs easily by searching the web, even the installation ones are fairly easy to get for Scantronic etc.

Gosh who'd have thought stuff produced in PDF formats is readily available to anybody....

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It's part of our guidelines not to provide engineers manuals here, not only from a security perspective but copyright issues. What other sites distribute is up to them.

years ago solicitors where threatening to sue TSI over there manuals being on here, thats the main reason why we don't share 'em

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

Gosh who'd have thought stuff produced in PDF formats is readily available to anybody....

Being Autisitc - Mr Happy, I dont take sarcasm well - just saying!

Just asking for help on this post as I was stuck.

59 minutes ago, Chris Covell said:

Ok , but reality this panel is now an antique and junk to most 

But great for DIY while it works perhaps

equality... If you was a one legged, lesbian, black, midget you'd get no different treatment from me

assuming your an adult, you should have the ability to understand over the length of your life the world changes slowly significantly.

eg in 1986 if I wanted an instruction book for alarm panel I'd have to telephone the manufacturer & they might have been kind enough to send one in the post.

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

30 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

equality... If you was a one legged, lesbian, black, midget you'd get no different treatment from me

assuming your an adult, you should have the ability to understand over the length of your life the world changes slowly significantly.

eg in 1986 if I wanted an instruction book for alarm panel I'd have to telephone the manufacturer & they might have been kind enough to send one in the post.

In those days you would get it quite quick aswell 

• 2 years later...

Acorn is the model, Shorroks the manufacturer. I installed 100s of them. A firm called Security Equipment Sales sold them (It was actually part of Shorroks). Quite a good 2 zone control panel in its day . Made of steel and you needed the key to open it. Logic gate inputs and and had a nice little input filter on the zones of about 0.8 seconds to change state if I remember correctly, that really cut down on false alarms from poor wiring connections. Designed for domestic properties but was useful for small shops and offices too. 

4 minutes ago, STRAK said:

Acorn is the model, Shorroks the manufacturer. I installed 100s of them. A firm called Security Equipment Sales sold them (It was actually part of Shorroks). Quite a good 2 zone control panel in its day . Made of steel and you needed the key to open it. Logic gate inputs and and had a nice little input filter on the zones of about 0.8 seconds to change state if I remember correctly, that really cut down on false alarms from poor wiring connections. Designed for domestic properties but was useful for small shops and offices too. 

PS - They were made in white but an option of Brown and Beige too