Security Installer Community

I'm looking for a mentor.

Cieska

Hello,
I haven't officially introduced here myself. I will put myself as a beginner in access-controls and security. I've done wiring for it and terminated boxes on the wall but not much experience in the guts of whole security systems, but I have got a general understanding of electronics and IT.  My idea is to advance in security systems to be competent to be a tradesman. I found it complicated to get a good grasp on it just by myself and make up the problems to come up with the solutions to get that knowledge when you not in this role as a professional. Sure it's much possible to achieve asking questions here in the forum but. So I thought I shout here for someone a friendly person who would be willing to be my mentor. A person who would not mind receiving Skype/WhatsApp messages with questions or my unsure thoughts related to the security systems and things related to it. So what I'm expecting is just a short conversation to help me formulate my approach to find the answers.
Not sure if what I'm asking is acceptable for this industry and this forum? I used to have a mentor when I started my journey amateur radio in electronics and photography and IT, so I thought I'll look for someone this time as well.
Not sure what I can give in exchange to your time and willingness, but I'm sure I will cover beer bill ? or you ask me.
Please write me a personal message for further conversations.
Thanks a lot.

23 minutes ago, Cieska said:

Hello,
I haven't officially introduced here myself. I will put myself as a beginner in access-controls and security. I've done wiring for it and terminated boxes on the wall but not much experience in the guts of whole security systems, but I have got a general understanding of electronics and IT.  My idea is to advance in security systems to be competent to be a tradesman. I found it complicated to get a good grasp on it just by myself and make up the problems to come up with the solutions to get that knowledge when you not in this role as a professional. Sure it's much possible to achieve asking questions here in the forum but. So I thought I shout here for someone a friendly person who would be willing to be my mentor. A person who would not mind receiving Skype/WhatsApp messages with questions or my unsure thoughts related to the security systems and things related to it. So what I'm expecting is just a short conversation to help me formulate my approach to find the answers.
Not sure if what I'm asking is acceptable for this industry and this forum? I used to have a mentor when I started my journey amateur radio in electronics and photography and IT, so I thought I'll look for someone this time as well.
Not sure what I can give in exchange to your time and willingness, but I'm sure I will cover beer bill ? or you ask me.
Please write me a personal message for further conversations.
Thanks a lot.

Well forum is for that to

Why not list some questions here 

• Upvote 1

Its not that I am unwilling to help I spend a lot of free time helping people here if I can, but I already get pestered by engineers 24/7 so I wouldnt want to add to that stress.

It really depends on how you see your future and what you want to do with your career. What I would say is that ideally you should look towards maybe a trainee position, and get some experience, it is how most company owners start out. You cannot learn experience from a book, or another person for that matter.

There are people out there who saw a picture of a burglar alarm once and then started their own company, but generally their work is rough. They get plenty of work because they dont charge enough, mainly because they dont understand the value of experience, which in turn is because they have no experience. If one of the jobs they do has a problem or a fault they have no motivation to return and repair it under warranty as they are too busy installing other jobs just to make ends meet. It becomes a vicious circle until eventually they go back to changing tyres for a living.  Hence why experience wins hands down every time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Its not that I am unwilling to help I spend a lot of free time helping people here if I can, but I already get pestered by engineers 24/7 so I wouldnt want to add to that stress.

It really depends on how you see your future and what you want to do with your career. What I would say is that ideally you should look towards maybe a trainee position, and get some experience, it is how most company owners start out. You cannot learn experience from a book, or another person for that matter.

There are people out there who saw a picture of a burglar alarm once and then started their own company, but generally their work is rough. They get plenty of work because they dont charge enough, mainly because they dont understand the value of experience, which in turn is because they have no experience. If one of the jobs they do has a problem or a fault they have no motivation to return and repair it under warranty as they are too busy installing other jobs just to make ends meet. It becomes a vicious circle until eventually they go back to changing tyres for a living.  Hence why experience wins hands down every time.

this ↑, if you want to learn about the industry just get a job in it & you'll get paid too....

ain't that an amazing idea ?

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God