Security Installer Community

honeywell tamper issue

Hello We have Honeywell ADE Gen4. This was installed in our new build 2016.

Recently the alarm has been very temperamental. It’s extremely touch sensitive & has started going off even when it’s unset.

This happened today pm. The message read ( TAMPER FAULT LOCKOUT)

There is no trouble guide in our user guide????????

Please help

Sharon

24 minutes ago, Sharon L Maderson said:

Hello We have Honeywell ADE Gen4. This was installed in our new build 2016.

Recently the alarm has been very temperamental. It’s extremely touch sensitive & has started going off even when it’s unset.

This happened today pm. The message read ( TAMPER FAULT LOCKOUT)

There is no trouble guide in our user guide????????

Please help

Sharon

Needs service and battery change to start with 

I would suggest you contact your installer or look for a local company to check over your system.

Alarm systems need regular maintenance to be reliable and if you have not had an engineer look at your system in that time it most likely needs the control battery replacing at a minimum.

A guess on your recent tamper issue from experience, without seeing the system, would be the external bell tamper switch due to the heat we have had; but would need proper diagnosis.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Accenta Mini Gen4 alarm and also recently also had the Tamper Fault Lockout message.  Certainly I was partly to blame as I had moved the location of the key pad and to do that, had to remove the cover.  After all the expert advice (get and expert to service the alarm / buy a replacement keypad / passed its design life / etc) I managed to cure the problem myself.

As far as I can see, the keypad case is very poorly designed; the two tabs at the top and the screw fitting at the bottom are not really designed to the absolute minimum strength required.  Because I had removed the bottom screw, when replaced, it did not fully close the case; there was around 0.5mm of 'play and this was sufficient to activate the tamper switch. 

I bodged some new 'tabs' on the top and bottom, fitted locking pins at the top.  At the bottom, I reinforced the screw tab with epoxy and redrilled.  Also, stretched the tamper spring a bit.

The pureists will shoot me down, but the result was it now all works, no Tamper Fault Lockout message and did not have to buy a new keypad.

RKP.jpg

• Downvote 1

An Accenta is a budget system so you get what you pay for. This is irrelevant to the advice for having the system serviced.

If you don't have some technical knowledge you are not going to be able to locate the tamper in the first place, the tamper fault could be any component in the system.

While your fix may work, possibly better than the original design, it looks pants. There is no way you can justify this type of fix for a paying customer. Any installer would rip the panel out and fit something decent if it was there own system.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Rekusu said:

I have an Accenta Mini Gen4 alarm and also recently also had the Tamper Fault Lockout message.  Certainly I was partly to blame as I had moved the location of the key pad and to do that, had to remove the cover.  After all the expert advice (get and expert to service the alarm / buy a replacement keypad / passed its design life / etc) I managed to cure the problem myself.

looking on google a new keypad is £25, I'd rather pay for new one than look at your repair ?

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, Rekusu said:

As far as I can see, the keypad case is very poorly designed; the two tabs at the top and the screw fitting at the bottom are not really designed to the absolute minimum strength required.  Because I had removed the bottom screw, when replaced, it did not fully close the case; there was around 0.5mm of 'play and this was sufficient to activate the tamper switch. 

I bodged some new 'tabs' on the top and bottom, fitted locking pins at the top.  At the bottom, I reinforced the screw tab with epoxy and redrilled.  Also, stretched the tamper spring a bit.

The pureists will shoot me down, but the result was it now all works, no Tamper Fault Lockout message and did not have to buy a new keypad.

RKP.jpg

Common problem on these are the spring , users mess around with the cover and screw and realise it was the spring after all

Not surprised by what you're saying you didn't need to do half of what you did but it is how it is, you damage the case

Be gentle adjust spring and your done, or call an engineer... ...

Knew it!  Purists.

Not saying it is the most elegant solution, but this RKP is in the garage so am not overly concerned with the appearance.  I could certainly have done a better job with taps and dies, etc, but don't have access to those tools. 

Yes, it is not the most expensive alarm but what does one get for more money?  Ass an alarm, it works, it activates the sounder when triggered; what more do I want?  The electronics are fine, they do what they say on the box so why should anyone have to spend £25 just to get a new case?  And only because the case is poorly designed. 

The control box plastic case is much better designed with the plastic tabs being stronger.

But I do agree that fixing the issue may not be everyone's cuppa.  It is mine; I installed the system and set it up when I built the house

Edited by Rekusu
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Rekusu said:

It is mine; I installed the system and set it up when I built the house

Its DIY tat, maybe if you got you had in you pocket & bought something decent in the 1st place....

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, Rekusu said:

Knew it!  Purists.

Not saying it is the most elegant solution, but this RKP is in the garage so am not overly concerned with the appearance.  I could certainly have done a better job with taps and dies, etc, but don't have access to those tools. 

Yes, it is not the most expensive alarm but what does one get for more money?  Ass an alarm, it works, it activates the sounder when triggered; what more do I want?  The electronics are fine, they do what they say on the box so why should anyone have to spend £25 just to get a new case?  And only because the case is poorly designed. 

The control box plastic case is much better designed with the plastic tabs being stronger.

But I do agree that fixing the issue may not be everyone's cuppa.  It is mine; I installed the system and set it up when I built the house

No need to justify 

I fixed one today and added a gsm unit , no bother.....

Case design is good , it's you lol

• 11 months later...