Security Installer Community

Access control technician/installer knowledge

Hi,

As not too much experienced installer/technician I usually come up with many questions in my head but sometimes not sure if I need to load in to my brains. 

My general question is how much knowledge awarage technician must have? Is there any guidelines without going to college? Maybe online general training or reading available, just to get overall look and to know where to go from there. Otherwise it takes very long as I know from experience from my other interests. 

Just for example when I was reading one of random PDFs (I have attached to my post) so I thought if this really relevant to me to get deep in to this? Sure it's good to know but as I said it maybe later on in my career, now I need to get on other more general things. Or maybe I'm wrong and this is really important? 

Any thoughts regarding general knowledge are welcome. 

Also, as I mentioned above all links to online or maybe  video training are appreciated. 

Cheers.

hid-understanding_card_data_formats-wp-en.pdf

25 minutes ago, Cieska said:

Hi,

As not too much experienced installer/technician I usually come up with many questions in my head but sometimes not sure if I need to load in to my brains. 

My general question is how much knowledge awarage technician must have? Is there any guidelines without going to college? Maybe online general training or reading available, just to get overall look and to know where to go from there. Otherwise it takes very long as I know from experience from my other interests. 

Just for example when I was reading one of random PDFs (I have attached to my post) so I thought if this really relevant to me to get deep in to this? Sure it's good to know but as I said it maybe later on in my career, now I need to get on other more general things. Or maybe I'm wrong and this is really important? 

Any thoughts regarding general knowledge are welcome. 

Also, as I mentioned above all links to online or maybe  video training are appreciated. 

Cheers.

hid-understanding_card_data_formats-wp-en.pdf 223.97 kB · 0 downloads

id say the 'average' doesnt go that deep. If installing product from the same manufacturer etc then it will work as the testing etc has already been done. Where the good guys do well is knowing how to make x work with y. However most customers dont check on ability or dare I say care. 

• Thanks 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Understanding how something works helps a lot when fault finding, or even getting the end user to use something as it was designed. However, when it comes to card formats for the average installer knowing the difference between 125khz and 13.56KHz is probably enough info unless you want to write your own cards and fobs.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

However, when it comes to card formats for the average installer knowing the difference between 125khz and 13.56KHz is probably enough info unless you want to write your own cards and fobs.  

Sure, I'm aware of this.