Security Installer Community

Scantronic recommendation

Hi all, hoping for some recommendation on which Scantronic parts I should go for.

I’m currently in the process of renovating a 1 bed flat and whilst I have floors open and walls not yet plastered.

I want to lay cables for an alarm system, I think I would like to have a hybrid wired system so I have the the options to add additional wireless sensors at a later stage if required, Scantronic has been recommended, I will also be adding a couple of external poe cameras, QVIS viper have also been recommended but open to any suggestions, might also look at adding a Konncected panel later if there is benefit.

So I would really appreciate if someone could advise on what Scantronic alarm I should go for, I think I just need 3motion sensors, for the living room, bedroom and hall, then maybe some window sensors, not sure if wired/wireless are best.

I would like the control panel to be quite modern looking also.

Many thanks in advance!!! ?

Stu Datafusion like Scantronic, I know nothing about the newer stuff I do know the original 9100, 9600 and 9800 were very good panels very reliable. I have a few Scanny takeovers which seem to be okay, we dont get much trouble. Detection wise I would recommend the Opex RX Quad, Opex only make detection they dont make panels or bells so they are expert at what they do we rarely have a problem with their quads, and FA's are normally environmental. With windows you would be better off going for wireless unless you are plastering everywhere, its hard to get a seismic detector to the best position on a window without some cable on show.

There are very few keypads that are modern looking, I like the Orisec one but if its anything like the Risco one it will be pants. I have an andriod flushed into the wall on my landing, to control my lights and CCTV ect I have pondered with the idea of using the smart app for the intruder so it acts as a keypad as well but in fairness its a good idea aesthetically but it wont work as well as it looks. Intruder alarm companies have some funny ideas on what they think looks good in someones house, this is why the crap diy market is so popular.  

Yeah I'd say the Scantronic (Eaton) i-On 40H is a good G2 professional panel that should not totally flummox a competent DIYer.

The free cloud monitoring is a nice bonus, there are currently no monthly fees and it has been suggested if they ever

come in, it will be for new signups not existing free customers.

I agree above about detection, now that Siemens IR range and now Vanderbilt e-Line have gone I've gone back to Optex and they seem as good as remembered (a long time ago TBF) - so far!

That said I have tried a few of the own brand Eaton detectors and whilst no FAs I've been a little 'alarmed' at how much motion is needed to make the wired pet ones activate.

Flush keypads are available for the ion and they are expensive but look quite nice.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

25 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Yeah I'd say the Scantronic (Eaton) i-On 40H is a good G2 professional panel that should not totally flummox a competent DIYer.

The free cloud monitoring is a nice bonus, there are currently no monthly fees and it has been suggested if they ever

I agree above about detection, now that Siemens IR range and now Vanderbilt e-Line have gone I've gone back to Optex and they seem as good as remembered (a long time ago TBF) - so far!

That said I have tried a few of the own brand Eaton detectors and whilst no FAs I've been a little 'alarmed' at how much motion is needed to make the wired pet ones activate.

Flush keypads are available for the ion and they are expensive but look quite nice.

Many thanks guys for the advice!

I was looking at the ion40H actually even though it don’t need so many zones but I think it looks like a decent bit of kit, the keypad doesn’t look too bad either.

Could you suggest any particular Wireless window sensor to go for?

I think the Optex looks like a good choice for PIR.

Also any alternative suggestions for cameras/NVR, was looking at the QVIS viper 5mp.

Many thanks!!! ?

30 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Many thanks, the Optex looks like a good choice, any specific suggestions for the wireless window sensors?

Cheers ?

8 minutes ago, Rocks1001 said:

Could you suggest any particular Wireless window sensor to go for?

There is just the one, well, actually, there is a version with a contact as well

http://touchpoint-online.com/content/738-det-rdcs

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

there are currently no monthly fees and it has been suggested if they ever

That would put me off, if your getting something for nothing that means somebody is getting nothing for something. Now you could say that well its only a cloud, but that needs to be kept up to date and working. In my opinion if it went down and they are not charging for it where is the motivation or financial resources to get it back up as quickly as possible. I havent seen many complaints on the FB forum about it going down, well at least not as many as the Texecom Risco or Pyronix clouds anyway, but that just maybe because the Scanny is not the weapon of choice for the £199.00 brigade 

I agree, but they definately include the price in the new larger panels to at least cover the first 2-3 years at Risco type rates, I'd argue.

They probably hope that on larger panels it will be used for nothing more than engineering connections with more traditional monitoring via

GSM / IP on top.

The 30R, 40H and Compact are priced somewhat more competitively.

No huge breakdowns to date, when there have they tell you virtually immediately by email and fix it quickly. I can count about 5 incidents in about

18 months. And I believe they have genuinely invested quite heavily in it of late.

Lets be honest the only reason it's free is because their market share is so shattered they daren't charge - yet.

Edited by datadiffusion

19 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

That would put me off, if your getting something for nothing that means somebody is getting nothing for something.

The same logic as other "free" services on the internet, obviously the cost is offset by other revenue streams. A gateway to selling more kit and paid services.

20 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I havent seen many complaints on the FB forum about it going down, well at least not as many as the Texecom Risco or Pyronix clouds anyway, but that just maybe because the Scanny is not the weapon of choice for the £199.00 brigade 

Not the place I'd be looking for reliable product information TBH.

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

There is just the one, well, actually, there is a version with a contact as well

Scanny wireless is one way still right?

2 way capable since the first generation of i-On but most devices (and certainly all the ones that you'd LIKE to be 2 way) 1 way, yes ?

I only use it for perimeter stuff

Edited by datadiffusion

34 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

The same logic as other "free" services on the internet, obviously the cost is offset by other revenue streams. A gateway to selling more kit and paid services.

Not the place I'd be looking for reliable product information TBH.

Scanny wireless is one way still right?

I agree but the only revenue stream can only be more sales, because once someone has purchased a panel (same price as all the other panels more or less) thats it for at least 5 years no more income from that customer. Most free stuff is to entice you to buy and keep buying, like the free gift in a happy meal, or the free plastic car when you fill your car with fuel 10 times. The difference between what the alarm manufacturers are doing and McDonalds is that Mcdonalds have weekly sometimes daily returns from giving away free stuff.  Its not economic suicide for these manufacturers though, far from it because the alarm monkeys keep selling the stuff, but that doesn't mean they are investing in proper servers or rushing to fix them when it goes wrong, because they dont have to issue any refunds if it does, they can't give a refund on something that doesn't cost you anything.

I dont use FB for product info, I use it to see whats happening in the jungle, and I can only go by what I see, which is the regular complaints that these free servers keep going down.

One way I believe so 

I suspect Eaton do not have the sort of numbers that cause issues...

Also as I say they are upfront when things go wrong (and at the time, not days later) so probably takes the sting out of complainers

Edited by datadiffusion

We have all used free services and never upgraded or put money in look at free email as an example. You may have had a free account for decades never paid a penny towards your gigabytes of junk.

A good service promotes the brand bringing more people in, it's not just looking at the short term game.

There are plenty of different models for revenue and it's a part why companies use different manufacturers kit (or rule it out completely) it suits there own business model better.

If you go into the jungle alone, expect to get bitten...

Taking Texecom for an example (as my preferred) they have different servers that work differently for two different products. So treating them both in the same regard would be wrong there.

There is also nothing to say a paid for service wouldn't go down it is the internet after all and not of it would be superior to "proper signalling equipment".

I am not for or against either, I try to limit what tat customers think they want connected to there crappy insecure ISP routers. Just pointing out that I don't believe it should be as much of a downer with a free service as you feel.

4 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

gone back to Optex and

Ive been doing training for optex redscan  and passed at 91%   

I will be going to optex after this lockdown is over 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

who's Ash Wood ?

& why do you have his sockets....

They failed the flammable material test 

I bet ash wood is some "famous" person who buys Chinese sockets that cost 50p then put a sticker on them and sell them for £20

Edited by Guest