Security Installer Community

Access Control Backup

Hi

on a access control maintenance is it just good practice to backup the database or is it a requirement from the likes of SSIAB etc?

Appreciate that the backup would be 6 months old but it’s better than nothing

thanks

I would have thought a backup is good practice, I have a client who is kicking off because his access control PC has died and we Don’t hold a back up but your comment makes me wonder if GDPR comes into play here?

I have looked before but is there a check list for maintenance requirements for access control, this is what I ask the guys to do

Check voltage on lock output

check backup battery

check functions of door ie RTE, BG Reader

check lock is secure

Check software is recording transactions

Am I missing anything?

thanks

I recommend backing access up to a usb or server everytime they make a change, or add a card.  That way if the hdd goes or the system falls over, its just install software on new machine and run backup, and all they lose is the journal 

Ideal world yes, I’ve since found out a backup would be pointless as the system is so old that the database couldn’t be imported into the latest version of software ACT winlite 2.5

Could you advise on the GDPR stance on a company making a backup and taking that with them? I presume the backup should be left on site

backup left on site is one option, but its like sage, word etc its up to the client to backup unless they are paying for a managed backup solution off site etc. Also should the backup be encrypted if your taking it and its found inside the pc etc

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I would just assist/guide the client as to best practices when it comes to backups and the storage of them. Getting involved further like keeping or making copies of there data would lead to you becoming a data processor.

If you have to, I would always recommend any portable media like that is encrypted, should really be using 3-2-1 method if your doing them properly.

4 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

If you have to, I would always recommend any portable media like that is encrypted, should really be using 3-2-1 method if your doing them properly.

?

IMG_3087.jpg?fit=562,667&ssl=1

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

22 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

The 3-2-1 backup strategy simply states that you should have 3 copies of your data (your production data and 2 backup copies) on two different media (disk and tape) with one copy off-site for disaster recovery.

granted tape isnt used much anymore but the principle remains, 3 copies of data 2 backups and at least 1 off site

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Yep, as above for 3-2-1.  "3 copies - 2 types of media - 1 offsite". The idea behind the two types would be for considering long term storage different media degrade over time.

Encryption is often overlooked on portable media it's so important when so much sensitive data could be in such a small device.

I rate hardware encryption if you need something cross platform or platform agnostic, I mostly use standard drives with LUKS for my own stuff.

Portable media it's ok until you remember to take it with you to do backups or you find it at all if you give it to someone. My thought would be sit of DropBox or any other similar service solution. Sure enough you better encrypt it before uploading. Solution like Cryptomator would be just good enough. To comply with GDPR probably would be good enough to crate account for customer instead uploading it to your Dropbox. Any way GDPR is not more applicable as UK now not in EU?

Edited by Cieska

GDPR was written up mostly between people in the UK and Germany. Just because of Brexit that doesn't make all these regulations not applicable overnight. As above it's not going away.

Using a cloud service would add more complication when it comes to GDPR even encrypted data, you have taken there data and uploaded it to a cloud service that they may have not approved or put in there GDPR policy.

7 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Is this a company you're involved with?

Not sure how did you come up with this question. Is anything wrong with it? This is just random piece software that I remember first to have as example. 

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

GDPR was written up mostly between people in the UK and Germany. Just because of Brexit that doesn't make all these regulations not applicable overnight. As above it's not going away.

Using a cloud service would add more complication when it comes to GDPR even encrypted data, you have taken there data and uploaded it to a cloud service that they may have not approved or put in there GDPR policy.

Gdpr was continued from data protection

And no it wasn't Germany and UK mostly ..... 

But as said it's not going away because already rules put in place on exit that laws are adopted and may or may not be amended later 

5 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

GDPR is different from the DPA, GDPR was added to "complement" the latest version of the DPA.

I tell the guy that ran the GDPR course I attended, Al reckons he's talking balls then.

Yes same thing , balls..... Lol