Security Installer Community

22 million records exposed in mystery "db8151dd" breach

The suggestion was that the data was related to linkedin as people could only find their 'special' linkedin email in the breach.

I do the same - linkedin@domain.com as I do for everything e.g. securitywarehouse@domain.co.uk which means compromise on one only hands over the keys to all if the passwords are the same

(sometimes they are, sometimes not) and a switched on human spots that they need to substitute the recipient part of the email - and it is not always as plain and obvious. My paypal login for example,

is NOT paypal@domain.com.

I've tried on the 'Have I Been Pwned' site and cannot find anything for any of my domains let alone the linkedin one

In fact, searching my surname suprisingly only brings up a single result I know isn't me as it relates to a single ancient exploit of a forum on a weed smoking enthusiasts site!

Edited by datadiffusion
Forgot this was public, domain redacted

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I feel it's source is from some social platform like that or something like a calender app that links all these together e-mail, meetings with contact details etc. Even having separate email usernames only narrows it down so far.

Don't think it's right to speculate TBH you can cause an unnecessary panic, people that are around these breaches have been trying to find the source for several months now, it's taken that long to add it all on to HIBP.

The one piece of information to take away from these breaches is don't re-use passwords.