Security Installer Community

Eaton Ion-40H Alarm Error - Setting Faults - Front Door Exit

NLondonLem

Hi 

We have an Eaton Ion-40H Alarm with Hybrid Setup (Wired sensors from old system plus mostly new scantronic wired ones)

Since the install was completed several months ago when we leave the house around 10% of the time (although it has been more frequent recently) and set the alarm to full set from the keypad master panel activating the front door exit countdown we get a single beep and an error on the display 'Setting Faults Z000 A Font Door'. The alarm will refuse to set and I have to then close the door and set the alarm from my phone through the app (it sets fine straight after from phone). The sensor is a wired contact sensor on the front door that we re-used from my previous system and my installer tested it saying he believes it was fine and didn't need replacing. 

It is strange that the error is intermittent and it is happening more frequently recently. I have spoken numerous times to my installer over the last few months since the install who advises that Eaton think they recognise the problem as a known bug and it should have been resolved in a firmware update this year. I haven't been able to reach my installer recently and as a member of the public don't have access to see what the firmware updates contain. I wondered if anyone else familiar with Eaton alarms could provide any further advice? 

Many thanks in advance for your time and help

Hi Peter 

Thanks for your quick response 

We do have a hallway PIR but it is disabled due to acrobatic cats setting it off. The entry point front door is managed by a simple contact sensor for entry & exit. No false alarms or other errors on it. Walk tests fine. 

1 minute ago, james.wilson said:

when you open the door when its armed do you get a delay? or does it go immediately into alarm?

We have a timed delay on entry and exit

2 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

if you start arming it with the door closed then leave is that ok?

then 

if you start it with the door open then close what happens?

From memory, it only seems to throw up the error if the door is open first before setting, which is the most convenient way to set it when leaving for me. 

Its probably set up as final set, which means when the entry time starts the alarm will arm when it sees the door open then close. It depends on if the engineer progged a delay on how long after the door is closed it arms.

Assuming that the hall is off and that there are no other detectors on your entry route it should arm if the door is open or closed so long as you open and close it on your way out.

Is the hall detector looking towards stairs? 

agreed id say it programmed for final door needs to see it open and close to arm. Get it changed to timed exit rather than final door (unless signalling but im guessing not) or start with the door closed

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

3 hours ago, NLondonLem said:

Hi 

We have an Eaton Ion-40H Alarm with Hybrid Setup (Wired sensors from old system plus mostly new scantronic wired ones)

Since the install was completed several months ago when we leave the house around 10% of the time (although it has been more frequent recently) and set the alarm to full set from the keypad master panel activating the front door exit countdown we get a single beep and an error on the display 'Setting Faults Z000 A Font Door'. The alarm will refuse to set and I have to then close the door and set the alarm from my phone through the app (it sets fine straight after from phone). The sensor is a wired contact sensor on the front door that we re-used from my previous system and my installer tested it saying he believes it was fine and didn't need replacing. 

It is strange that the error is intermittent and it is happening more frequently recently. I have spoken numerous times to my installer over the last few months since the install who advises that Eaton think they recognise the problem as a known bug and it should have been resolved in a firmware update this year. I haven't been able to reach my installer recently and as a member of the public don't have access to see what the firmware updates contain. I wondered if anyone else familiar with Eaton alarms could provide any further advice? 

Many thanks in advance for your time and help

I can't see how changing from final door to timed would make a difference

If it's intermittent I would change the door contact 

When you set via the app , you unsetting from keypad when you enter ?

1 hour ago, NLondonLem said:

door is open first before setting, which is the most convenient way to set it when leaving for me. 

You need this to be other way around from James said if it's convenient for door to be open , change it from timed to final set instead , if having door open until you leave close door then it sets 

22 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

some panels (dont know this one) need to see final door open and close during exit time. If open at the start it wont 'final set' on closing.

timed will ignore door state at start of arm

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

52 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

some panels (dont know this one) need to see final door open and close during exit time. If open at the start it wont 'final set' on closing.

timed will ignore door state at start of arm

Not sure I get you, if it's final door there is no exit time ? Just waits for door to open and close

30 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

not on some they need the door closed at exit start

Ok cool , I haven't seen that or more like while bashing didn't notice 

Good info ?

2 hours ago, al-yeti said:

If it's intermittent I would change the door contact 

When you set via the app , you unsetting from keypad when you enter ?

Hi I just checked a few settings via the web interface - thanks all for your replies

The zone throwing up the error is the door contact sensor. The hallway PIR is disabled (as it should be)

At my installer's suggestion we had it on Final Door but changed it to Timed Set to see if it was any better

What I don't understand is the intermittent nature of the fault around 10% of the time but it has happened more recently. My installer tested the door contact sensor and thought it was working fine.

It throws up the error when I put in my code and press A to fully arm with the door open (I think it might also do it with closed but can't remember)

Yes when I set via the app, I then unset from the keypad on entry and it's all fine. Picks up the entry as normal when I open the door.

Does anyone know whether any firmware updates have been released for the Ion-40H this year and whether this is a known bug that's been fixed now? My installer spoke with Eaton last Autumn who said they were aware of a bug that could cause this issue and a fix was due towards end of the year then early this year but I don't know whether something has been released yet or if it is definitely a bug as I'd expect a bug in software to more typically cause consistent rather than intermittent behaviour...

Edited by NLondonLem
More info

8 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

no but i dont know or use eaton stuff. If it is a bug then its the maintainer that should update as they are liable for it

I've been struggling to reach my engineer recently and I was looking to get other opinions in case it was something else that had been overlooked to resolve this long-standing issue - thanks

4 minutes ago, NLondonLem said:

I've been struggling to reach my engineer recently

I don't know if you've seen it in the press but there's some sort of pandemic on the go at the moment...

Mr? Veritas God

7 minutes ago, NLondonLem said:

I've been struggling to reach my engineer recently and I was looking to get other opinions in case it was something else that had been overlooked to resolve this long-standing issue - thanks

You would struggle to reach me having the engineer code and asking me to fix it 

27 minutes ago, NLondonLem said:

I've been struggling to reach my engineer recently

He probably didn't charge you enough 

5 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

He probably didn't charge you enough 

he is

Folks, would appreciate constructive rather than flaming/tongue in cheek comments please. My installer charged a fair price and is very friendly & knowledgeable. I came on here looking for a second opinion in case something may have been overlooked and perhaps given the experience in these forums someone had seen something similar that they had resolved. Cheers

7 minutes ago, NLondonLem said:

Folks, would appreciate constructive rather than flaming/tongue in cheek comments please. 

well you may be disappointed.... I like to think we the old fashioned bear pit sort of forum ?

either it ain't programmed right or you ain't using right

close all the internal doors, enter the code with front door shunt & leave promptly ;)

Mr? Veritas God

I have had similar issues with final door AND wireless contact, when door is already open AND final set. I have never seen a bulletin for any sort of firmware issue as such, though.

Latest software is 6.01, beware though, this update finally allows installer to lock panel. However if you can see programming I assume installer has given you engineer code??

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, NLondonLem said:

Folks, would appreciate constructive rather than flaming/tongue in cheek comments please. My installer charged a fair price and is very friendly & knowledgeable. I came on here looking for a second opinion in case something may have been overlooked and perhaps given the experience in these forums someone had seen something similar that they had resolved. Cheers

So get another installer because seems you willing to pay and want important security , which clearly you won't be able to fix