Security Installer Community

False alarm (pir)

Morning ?

Just a quick question please. 

Our old alarm had a few false alarms in its time. Our newish one (a texecom premier elite) has also suffered two. Both at night. One just now. Always scares you right up cos its so loud with the internal sounder. And every time I think the neighbours are going to hate me and the kids cry. 

Anyway, apart from one time it's always been the lounge pir that sets it off. 

If you got called out to this sort of thing, what be your standard procedure please?

Can you install two pirs and have it so they both have to register to set off an alarm? 

Would you move it? It's in a corner near patio doors.

Sorry I know it's vague but any thoughts would be welcomed thanks.

14 minutes ago, bennynoneck said:

Morning ?

Our old alarm had a few false alarms in its time. Our newish one (a texecom premier elite) has also suffered two. Both at night. One just now. Always scares you right up cos its so loud with the internal sounder. And every time I think the neighbours are going to hate me and the kids cry. 

If you got called out to this sort of thing, what be your standard procedure please?

Can you install two pirs and have it so they both have to register to set off an alarm? 

Would you move it? It's in a corner near patio doors.

Sorry I know it's vague but any thoughts would be welcomed thanks.

Well I assume it's definitely an alarm signal?

You need to test the PIR and cable, resistance checks? Voltage checks ?

Position can also be a problem yes

Sorry the key thing I should have added that this pir is wireless. There are a few more like this in house that don't false alarm though. 

As I said many years ago when I put in a system in my previous house, if you took all the guidance from texecom you wouldn't be able to put these pirs anywhere because they have to be a certain distance from steels, radiators, windows, air, and walls! The biggest problem for me in placement are steels as both ends of my living room have steel lintels. Also both ends have floor to ceiling glass windows  / patio doors although I can't remember if they are not meant to be facing through a window or not. 

Could a placement issue be so intermittent? 

Many thanks for the reply.

Intermittent issues and things like this are where engineers earn there salt.

Being experienced you generally have an instinct of what it maybe from the environment or system log and then you can use your tools to see if you can confirm this (multimeter tests, reproducing the issue etc)

When it's down to placement problems you would minimise this at installation time, steel wouldn't be of a concern from a false activation POV but could reduce signal to the panel, you can check for this tho.

As an installer coming out to the job if all the tests were inconclusive you would likely just swap it, as a return visit would cost more to the company then a passive and battery. Doing nothing would help no-one here.

It's a different situation for yourself, I would be thinking about re-siting it with a new battery initially. Other tests you could do is to mask it off completely proving that it's not detecting something in the room or swapping it with another room.

Plenty of options and things to try to pin it down, but what we would do is probably different.

7 hours ago, bennynoneck said:

Morning ?

If you got called out to this sort of thing, what be your standard procedure please? Apart from the obvious, anything in the room moving , look for spiders inside and out, is it secure,could whatever its screwed to move?

Can you install two pirs and have it so they both have to register to set off an alarm?  Yes this is called beam pairing, but with a quality quad you should not need to, I cant remember the last time my alarm went off.

Would you move it? It's in a corner near patio doors. Its more what its looking at rather than where it is. Is it looking at a moving heat source 

Sorry I know it's vague but any thoughts would be welcomed thanks. I love being vague, it gives me that heir of mystery 

Just now, Logan said:

I reccomend either increasing the pulse count on the pir if possible  or using a dualtec

i dont, without knowing the cause just slowing down the sensor is hiding the issue and making for a potential no detection

• Upvote 2

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.