Security Installer Community

Which Honeywell Panel in UK? - Gave up waiting for Konnected.io

sg86sg

4 minutes ago, jelockwood said:

@Galaxy Guy

I have not tried those links yet myself as I have not yet bought a panel.

If you are writing your own solution I totally appreciate it has to be on your timescale and express my appreciation for your efforts. Will your solution eventually allow adding virtual zones received via MQTT? I would like to use non-Honeywell smoke and flood sensors but link them to the Honeywell.

PS. I dislike npm as well.

The development is a SelfMon product and will eventually support an MQTT based receiver at the SelfMon side and transmit panel SIA events via MQTT.  As you can see from the image above, the virtual RIO devices have 8 inputs and 4 outputs and I've enabled 4 virtual module addresses on the test panel. The outputs are driven by the panel and can be forwarded links of zone status or just standard outputs like bells, set, etc.  The panel sees the module as if it were a hardware RIO. When the output is set by the panel, the module forwards the status change to the MQTT server (broker) and it can be picked up by any subscribing client.  The virtual RIO also subscribes to its own 8 input channels, so if you have another device that publishes a status change to one of the input channels, then that input change is sent to the control panel. The intention is that an automation controller will act as a middle-man in this process. That is, unless the other sensors have the capability to publish to specific MQTT topics directly.

The reason for requiring the bigger panels is to maximise the number of virtual RIO's that can be enabled alongside wired RIO's.  The FX100+ can take 11 external RIO's, so you can have the on-board, a couple of hard wired RIO's and then use the remainder of the addresses to maximise the number of virtualised outputs and inputs available.

This is a block diagram of the device:

http://www.selfmon.uk/manuals/LCE-K3/LCE-K3-MANUAL.pdf 

• Upvote 1

@Galaxy Guy

I am not ready yet to take the plunge. But in the meantime if I may I will ask a few more questions.

I got the impression that an alarm panel could support a number of wired and/or wireless sensors using the built-in board without needing a RIO and that a RIO was purely a way of expanding the capacity. Are you saying RIOs are compulsory? It makes it more expensive than I thought but not necessarily a blocker. Do the RIOs fit inside the panel box?

Your Selfmon solution. I was intending to use the GX Remote app for self monitoring and looking at an integration solution both to add some non-Honeywell sensors e.g. smoke and leak and yes this approach would also mean it should be possible to use a smart home platform also to monitor the alarm system. Does your solution require giving access to your web server? Whilst I can see this does offer alert services etc. it means another avenue of Internet traffic that hypothetically could be attacked. I would also be wanting the MQTT aspect to operate purely internally on my network both again for security and to avoid issues due to any Internet connectivity issues.

If I don't want or need alerts from your service and purely want the MQTT option and any hardware does this still require an ongoing subscription? (The equivalent competing products for the Honeywell Vista i.e. AlarmDecoder and Envisalink would not require subscriptions.

27 minutes ago, jelockwood said:

@Galaxy Guy

I am not ready yet to take the plunge. But in the meantime if I may I will ask a few more questions.

I got the impression that an alarm panel could support a number of wired and/or wireless sensors using the built-in board without needing a RIO and that a RIO was purely a way of expanding the capacity. Are you saying RIOs are compulsory? It makes it more expensive than I thought but not necessarily a blocker. Do the RIOs fit inside the panel box?

Your Selfmon solution. I was intending to use the GX Remote app for self monitoring and looking at an integration solution both to add some non-Honeywell sensors e.g. smoke and leak and yes this approach would also mean it should be possible to use a smart home platform also to monitor the alarm system. Does your solution require giving access to your web server? Whilst I can see this does offer alert services etc. it means another avenue of Internet traffic that hypothetically could be attacked. I would also be wanting the MQTT aspect to operate purely internally on my network both again for security and to avoid issues due to any Internet connectivity issues.

If I don't want or need alerts from your service and purely want the MQTT option and any hardware does this still require an ongoing subscription? (The equivalent competing products for the Honeywell Vista i.e. AlarmDecoder and Envisalink would not require subscriptions.

buy some kit, place it on the bench

play with it,

learn what it does & doesn't do

it the project is gonna not  work or come into too dear, pop it al back the boxes & you'll get most of your £ on ebay 

Mr? Veritas God

3 hours ago, jelockwood said:

@Galaxy Guy

So you want something for free? Perhaps £2000-£3000 then will get you lifetime mqtt service......

On 14/04/2020 at 14:05, MrHappy said:

The UK is currently in the middle of 

You gonn have to bodge something together if you want something to work with a $129 US DIY type of thing ?

Reading from the start again I think I this is the answer , it will eventually happen .

5 hours ago, jelockwood said:

@Galaxy Guy

No, RIO's are not compulsory. There are 12 wired onboard zones on a Flex and 16 on a Dimension. Only if you need the additional wired or wireless zones, then you will need a RIO or RF portal. I'm saying that you really don't want to limit the panel capacity, as when you add more home automation based sensors, then you can easily reach the panel 12 zone capacity. If you buy an FX100+, then you can start at 12 hard wired zones and expand at a later date if you need to. The + panels also support many 'links' which are needed for home automation.

There is no tie-in with the Virtual RIO module. It sits inside the control panel connected to the bus and publishes zone status to any MQTT server you select (the example I show above is running on a Pi Zero). It does not need the SelfMon platform to operate.  The SIA over MQTT to SelfMon is only a convenient option for people should they wish to use it. There's nothing stopping you using the A083/E080 Ethernet modules and GX app or even the Ethernet to SelfMon.  Note that SelfMon does have some advantages over the free Honeywell push notifications - like regular path testing and multiple messaging types which can be configured based on the priority of the event. Ie. Push notifications/email for all events, SMS for higher priority and voice for burglary or confirmed.

Even with the current SelfMon setup, there's no need to give access to SelfMon to your system. The SIA events are sent to the platform by the control panel and SelfMon takes care of the  message distribution via the various customer configured message queues - Push/SMS/Voice/Email/CURL. In this configuration, the control panel is the client connecting to SelfMon which is the server.  For convenience, SelfMon does offer an HTTPS web based keypad to connect back into the control panel using the same security mechanism that the GX app uses with port 10001.