Security Installer Community

Which Honeywell Panel in UK? - Gave up waiting for Konnected.io

sg86sg

3 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Re prox tags I have always recommended to have the tag on your car keys separate from your house ones. They have there pros and cons but they are mandatory for proper monitoring anyway

I do that

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

I do that

Yup, my house/office key and work alarm fob are together with a USB back up thing, car key totally on its own, not even a fob. I hate lots of keys etc. 

Taking it a step further, phone always goes in my left front pocket on its own (screen against my leg) and car key on its own in the opposite. House/office keys are either hung up at home or on my desk at work. Been the same for years. 

Bit ocd but hey ho. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Yeah, I write left handed (cack handed) but my right hand is my leading hand in everything else, squash etc. Not sure why I chose my left pocket but its been that way since I smashed the screen on my 6310 on the corner of a desk back in the day. 

6 hours ago, sg86sg said:

If the addon panel was connected at setup time wouldn't the glaxy panel then consider it to be "part of the sensor" if you know what I mean, as the resistance would then change including the addon board?

With luck, you may be able to stay within a selected range, but depending on the tolerances, it may just result in false tampers. With the cost of the third party solutions being so high, I personally wouldn't bother.

3 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Being right handed phone in the right makes more sense to me :shrug:

You just normal monkey then? Or can use most tools both hands?

Right handed , my phone always on left which is normal for most they hold to left ear and type with right and left handed people being opposite 

So phone goes in pocket which is nearest to which hand you hold it 

Unless you long winded dude who swap to his right gets bored reading this and put in his right pocket ?

17 hours ago, MrHappy said:

right'o

ahh.

There is a huge difference between buying cheap hardware and being smart by only paying for better aesthetics where they are needed.

Good job on trying to be smart there though ? 

37 minutes ago, sg86sg said:

There is a huge difference between buying cheap hardware and being smart by only paying for better aesthetics where they are needed.

Good job on trying to be smart there though ? 

nah, I did a bit better than "trying" to be smart ;)

mk8 rkp looks like 1980's tat

mk7 look like 1990's tat

if the 2nd keypad was free, I'd still prefer to buy an identical one to go in the cupboard

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

Galaxy have always been behind the curve with aesthetics imo, the mk7 is my preferred one, the mk8 looks gash for a modern day bit of kit. 

9600 was awesome by comparison but the recent Texe would be my choice. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Logan said:

Im not really a fan of texecom i do like the veritas though 

My favourite panels are 

Scantronic 

Galaxy 

Pyronix euro series 

This is blag 

2 hours ago, MrHappy said:

its on the desk waiting for me to mess my pants with excitement

disgusting. glad you saw fit to edit it.

Edited by datadiffusion
  • Upvote 1

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2020 at 12:06, GalaxyGuy said:

I'm currently working on a virtual RIO module as part of something that I want for my own home automation.  I'll sell this for the bigger panels like the FX100+ and GD96 upwards, as they have lots of links available.  The virtual RIO sits on the RS485 bus and will consume 4 addresses, giving 16 outputs and 32 inputs in virtualised form.  On my own system, I currently have lots of outputs programmed to switch lights, heating and garage door Etc, but I either control them from the app, or guard codes.   I've been looking at OpenHab, so would like a way for linked zones with virtualised outputs to provide the OpenHab 'things' with status update calls over IP. There shouldn't be any reason that the virtualised RIO cannot send the calls to any other controller, it's just a matter of the appropriate protocol.

This is basically what some of these other hardware vendors do for Vista, but instead of the compatible device, they physically hook into the existing zones and outputs wiring. This would cause an issue for the Galaxy, as it uses balanced circuits, so any external influence on the circuits would cause problems.  The virtual RIO will only need connected to the bus and an Ethernet connection, so a simple addition. Since the inputs and outputs are programmable, it's entirely up to the person who configures the system as to the level of control allowed. An input call to the virtual RIO could set a zone as active and in turn fire another physical panel output, or set the system. Basically anything that the panel is capable of.  For me, I think the timers and sequence based logic is limited on the Galaxy, and that's where the home automation excels.

I like the sound of that ?

I was hoping for some way besides Konnected to link my Flex into my SmartThings.

I was hoping I could do it a similar way to a standard 12v doorbell I have.

So I have a Xiaomi ZigBee push button thats on my SmartThings setup and it has contacts on that replicates the button been pressed, so I connect them to the led on the bell receiver so when the bell goes of it activates the button and then I can do what I want with that within SmartThings.

I wouldn't know where to start with the flex I just followed a guide to do the bell.

23 minutes ago, Steve23 said:

I like the sound of that ?

I was hoping for some way besides Konnected to link my Flex into my SmartThings.

I was hoping I could do it a similar way to a standard 12v doorbell I have.

So I have a Xiaomi ZigBee push button thats on my SmartThings setup and it has contacts on that replicates the button been pressed, so I connect them to the led on the bell receiver so when the bell goes of it activates the button and then I can do what I want with that within SmartThings.

I wouldn't know where to start with the flex I just followed a guide to do the bell.

Maybe he needs a field tester ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have scanned most of this thread but not all as it was taking excessively long to load in my browser.

I am also interested in a Honeywell Galaxy for use in the UK and for some basic smart home integration. I am considering the Flex 50. In response to some comments I have seen here I have the following responses.

The Konnected board effectively replaces the Honeywell panel and directly talks to the sensors so it does apparently work here in the UK. However it only works with wired sensors.

I am under the impression that the Honeywell Galaxy Flex shares zones between wireless and wired sensors so a Flex 50 cannot do 50 wired sensors and additional wireless sensors. It can do 52 wired or 40 wireless not therefore a total of 92. Presumably the same applies for the Flex 20 which I agree is too small.

The Envisalink does not officially support the Honeywell Galaxy only the Vista. Yes the Vista and Galaxy are different, as has been mentioned the use of balanced circuits is one example. However I am not convinced that alone would be sufficient to make using the Envisalink impossible to use so perhaps there are some other differences as well.

The DSC PowerSeries can be obtained still in the UK but not via your average alarm supplier. It is the only UK available product officially supported by Envisalink and AlarmDecoder. The DSC Neo is not supported by the Envisalink or AlarmDecoder.

I have seen mention on this very site of people managing to use a Honeywell Ethernet module with a Galaxy Panel and software to then make it available via MQTT. Using MQTT one could then link to various smart home systems. I have seen similar mention on the Home Assistant forum although zero details were provided. See https://community.home-assistant.io/t/uk-alarms-for-ha-recomentations/37932/34

See the following as possible starting points for possibly doing this ones self.

https://github.com/dklemm/FlexSIA2MQTT

As apparently the Honeywell Galaxy uses an RS485 serial bus and SIA signalling this should in theory be similar enough to other panels to exploit. However using the Honeywell Ethernet interface also should in theory be possible as after all the official Galaxy GX Remote Control App communicates and controls the alarm panel this way. So for that matter does Honeywell's WIN-PAK software.

Going back to the differences between a Honeywell Vista and a Honeywell Galaxy. Again I wonder if this is as substantial as people are making out. After all the Honeywell Vista 6280 touchscreen is mostly similar to the Honeywell Galaxy Touch Centre Plus.

https://www.security.honeywell.com/product-repository/6280w-6280s

https://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/product-repository/galaxy-touchcenter-plus

Yes the bezels are different, yes the 6280 has Z-Wave support but other than that the user interface, screen and LEDs are the same.

It should be noted that the user interface of the GX Remote Control app is more like that of the Honeywell Vista 6290 touch screen. I hope that the Touch Centre Plus is therefore replaced by an equivalent of the 6290.

https://www.security.honeywellhome.com/product-repository/6290w

the galaxy and vista are 2 completly different products. The galaxy was deveopled in scotland long before ademco purchased microtech and long before honeywell purchased ademco. The vista was developed in the US

15 minutes ago, jelockwood said:

The Konnected board effectively replaces the Honeywell panel and directly talks to the sensors so it does apparently work here in the UK. However it only works with wired sensors.

it doesnt. It connects to the same inputs but wont work on a galaxy. You could use this board from the galaxy using links (menu option) relays and outputs. But not directly to the eol wiring. If using this board via links you could use the rf detectors too, but im fairly sure the rf does not do status in the unset state.

Galaxy guy (member) is developing something for this but id look at what you actually need re status, circuit activity, remote control etc from the HA system. 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Go for a Flex FX100+ as it supports lots of links and zones for automation. Here's the latest SelfMon virtual device module in action with MQTT. The project has been slightly delayed, as I've been assigned to work on covid for a few weeks.

PastedGraphic-3.png

PastedGraphic-4.png

23 hours ago, jelockwood said:

See the following as possible starting points for possibly doing this ones self.

https://github.com/dklemm/FlexSIA2MQTT

jelockwood, have you tried this and managed to get it to run? I tried with npm and docker on my mac, but although it seemed to build, the image would just exit with no messages. I have an FX100+ sitting testing on the bench to test the software out. I've not used typescript at all so I may be missing something. These new abstracted languages seem really convoluted sometimes. Just a bunch of yaml files with abstract commands. Great when they work, but not so great when there's an issue.  I don't think the author ever responded to previous questions, but his repo build instruction is definitely missing some parts.

@Galaxy Guy

I have not tried those links yet myself as I have not yet bought a panel.

If you are writing your own solution I totally appreciate it has to be on your timescale and express my appreciation for your efforts. Will your solution eventually allow adding virtual zones received via MQTT? I would like to use non-Honeywell smoke and flood sensors but link them to the Honeywell.

PS. I dislike npm as well.